one hundred and twelve: the snakes.

BROOKLYN WASN'T SURPRISED when the snake people arrived.

By now, she's learned that shit just happens, and she's just along for the ride. So when the ship docked at the harbor in Piraeus, on the outskirts of Athens, Brooklyn fully expected something to happen. Sure, they had finally reached their destination. Somewhere nearby — past those rows of cruise ships that Piper restrained her from going to, past those hills crowded with buildings — they would find the Acropolis. Today, one way or another, their journey would end.

But that didn't mean she could relax. Any moment, shit might come flying out of nowhere.

As it turned out, the surprise was three dudes with snake tails instead of legs.

Piper and Brooklyn were on watch while the others geared up for combat — checking their weapons and armor, loading the ballistae and catapults. To be honest, though, Brooklyn and Piper were just talking about shit, not really watching out for stunning bad. But then Piper spotted the snake guys slithering along the docks, winding through crowds of mortal tourists who paid them no attention, and nudged Brooklyn and pointed at them.

"Babe?" Brooklyn called.

Annabeth and Percy came to her side.

"Oh, great," Percy said. "Dracaenae."

Annabeth narrowed her eyes. "I don't think so. At least not like any I've seen. Dracaenae have two serpent trunks for legs. These guys just have one."

"You're right," Percy said. "These look more human on top, too. Not all scaly and green and stuff. So do we talk or fight?"

The snake man in the lead held his head high. His face was chiselled and bronze, his eyes black as basalt, his curly dark hair glistening with oil. His upper body rippled with muscles, covered only by a Greek chlamys — a white wool cloak loosely wrapped and pinned at the shoulder. From the waist down, his body was one giant serpent trunk — about eight feet of green tail undulating behind him as he moved.

In one hand he carried a staff topped with a glowing green jewel. In his other, he carried a platter covered with a silver dome, like a main course for a fancy dinner.

The two guys behind him appeared to be guards. They wore bronze breastplates and elaborate helmets topped with horsehair bristles. Their spears were tipped with green stone points. Their oval shields were emblazoned with a large Greek letter K — kappa.

They stopped a few yards from the Argo II. The leader looked up and studied the demigods. His expression was intense but inscrutable. He might have been angry or worried or terribly in need of a restroom.

"Permission to come aboard." He said in a raspy voice.

"Who are you?" Brooklyn asked.

He fixed his dark eyes on her. "I am Kekrops, the first and eternal king of Athens. I would welcome you to my city." He held up the covered platter. "Also, I brought a Bundt cake."

Piper glanced at them. "A trick?"

"Probably," Annabeth said.

"At least he brought dessert." Brooklyn smiled down at the snake guys. "Welcome aboard!"

Kekrops agreed to leave his guards above deck with Buford the table, who ordered them to drop and give him twenty push-ups. The guards seemed to take this as a challenge.

Meanwhile, the king of Athens was invited to the mess hall for a 'get to know you' meeting.

"Please take a seat," Jason offered.

Kekrops wrinkled his nose. "Snake people do not sit."

"Please remain standing," Leo said. He cut the cake and stuffed a piece in his mouth.