sixty two: the visitors.

BROOKLYN WALKED LEISURELY with her friends to where a crowd was forming, staring up at the warship in the sky.

"It is pretty," she gazed at it in awe.

"Shouldn't we hurry up?" Hazel asked. "They're probably waiting for us."

"Yeah, Brooks," Percy reached out to touch the eagle medal on Brooklyn's cloak. "They're waiting for you, our amazing praetor."

"Flatterer," she rolled her eyes. "Fine, but my feet hurt, so don't blame me if we're slow."

They shouldered their way through the crowd, Frank finally spotting Reyna's cloak due to him being freakishly tall so he led them through the crowd. At least, until Percy spotted something and immediately rushed forward.

Brooklyn emerged from the crowd, seeing two familiar people which took the breath out of her.

Annabeth, who had her typical ponytail, Camp Half-Blood t-shirt, and stormy expression. But it softened when she saw Brooklyn and Percy.

And Jason . . . he and Brooklyn actually looked like siblings, which was weird considering they look nothing like their father. He had blond hair that wasn't like the Roman style, it was a little longer; the same blue eyes she had, and that regal, stoic expression that she saw in the mirror every day. He was frowning down at her hoodie, and she made eye contact with him and shrugged.

Next to her, Reyna straightened. With apparent reluctance, she turned toward Jason.

"Jason Grace, my former colleague . . ." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

Annabeth surged forward. Percy rushed toward her at the same time. The crowd tensed. Some reached for swords that weren't there.

Percy threw his arms around her. Brooklyn bit back a smile, and she probably should've been in that hug, but she was content just standing here.

Percy pulled away and studied Annabeth. "Gods, I never thought—"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat. Brooklyn just stood there, poorly biting back her snickers.

"If you ever leave me again," Annabeth threatened, "I swear to all the gods—"

Percy laughed.

"Consider me warned," he said. "I missed you, too."

Annabeth rose and helped him to his feet. She looked over at Brooklyn. "That threat applies to you, too."

"Good to know," Brooklyn said wryly.

Jason cleared his throat. "So, yeah . . . It's good to be back."

He introduced Reyna to a girl named Piper, who had spoken in that video scroll, then to the guy in the video scroll, Leo, who grinned and flashed a peace sign.

"And this is Annabeth," Jason said. "Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people."

Reyna's eyes sparkled. "You sure you're not a Roman, Annabeth? Or an Amazon?"

Annabeth held out her hand. "I only attack my best friends like that," she promised. "Pleased to meet you."

Reyna clasped her hand firmly. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"

The centurions hustled forward. Hazel and Frank stood next to Percy and Brooklyn. Hazel stared warily at Leo.

Meanwhile, Reyna was giving orders to her officers. ". . . tell the legion to stand down. Dakota, alert the spirits in the kitchen. Tell them to prepare a welcome feast. And, Octavian—"