sixty five: the boring fields.

LEO HAD SAID they were close. His idea of "close" needed some work.

After trudging half a mile through hot fields, getting bitten by mosquitoes and whacked in the face with scratchy sunflowers, they finally reached the road. An old billboard for Bubba's Gas 'n' Grub indicated they were still forty miles from the first Topeka exit.

"Correct my math," Percy said, "but doesn't that mean we have eight miles to walk?"

"Wow, the Percy Jackson, renowned hero, mathematician," Brooklyn drawled, wrapping her arms around his neck tighter from where she was situated on his back.

"I can throw you off, if you'd like," he offered.

"I can just jump on Jason's back, he'd carry me. Right, broski?"

Jason peered both ways down the deserted road. He looked better today, thanks to the magical healing of ambrosia and nectar. His color was back to normal, and the scar on his forehead had almost vanished. A gladius hung at his belt, which was just a poor fashion choice. She'd educate him on that later.

"Never call me that again," he told her. "There aren't any cars around . . . but I guess we wouldn't want to hitchhike."

"No," Piper agreed, gazing nervously down the highway. "We've already spent too much time going overland. The earth is Gaea's territory."

"Hmm . . . Jason snapped his fingers. "I can call a friend for a ride."

Percy raised his eyebrows. "Oh, yeah? Me too. Let's see whose friend gets here first."

Jason whistled. Percy simply closed his eyes and concentrated. Brooklyn knew what Percy was doing, and she grinned. She loved Blackjack.

Thunder crackled in the clear sky, electrifying her veins.

Jason smiled. "Soon."

"Too late." Percy pointed east, where a black winged shape was spiraling toward them.

"A black pegasus?" Piper said. "Never seen one like that."

The winged stallion came in for a landing. He trotted over to Percy and nuzzled his face, let Brooklyn pat him, then turned his head inquisitively toward Piper and Jason.

"Blackjack," Percy said, "this is Piper and Jason. They're friends."

The horse nickered.

"Uh, maybe later," Percy answered.

"What does Blackjack want?" Brooklyn asked.

"Donuts," Percy said. "Always donuts. He can carry all four of us if—"

Suddenly the air turned cold. Brooklyn's ears popped. About fifty yards away, a miniature cyclone three stories tall tore across the tops of the sunflowers like a scene from The Wizard of Oz. It touched down on the road next to Jason and took the form of a horse — a misty steed with lightning flickering through its body.

She felt a smile grow on her face. Oh hell yeah.

"Tempest," Jason said, grinning broadly. "Long time, my friend."

The storm spirit reared and whinnied. Blackjack backed up skittishly.

"Easy, boy," Percy said. "He's a friend too." He gave Jason an impressed look. "Nice ride, Grace."

Jason shrugged. "I made friends with him during our fight at the Wolf House. He's a free spirit, literally, but once in a while he agrees to help me."

Percy and Jason climbed on their respective horses. Brooklyn hopped in front of Percy on Blackjack, so Piper climbed on Tempest.