sixty one: the final senate meeting.

THE NEXT MORNING, Brooklyn, Percy, Hazel, and Frank ate breakfast early, then headed into the city before the senate was due to convene. As Brooklyn was a praetor now, she could go pretty much wherever she wanted, whenever she wanted.

"What are you wearing?" Percy asked her. She was sipping an energy drink infused with nectar from a paper cup, the sleeves of her hoodie getting in the way.

"I didn't get my clothes from the barracks," she grumbled. "So I stole Jason's. They're pretty comfy."

"I could've given you mine."

"And what? Walked around naked until I found you?"

He shut up after that.

"Are you two together now?" Frank asked. Right, he didn't know, and Hazel did.

"It's our one day anniversary," Percy lifted their linked hands. "Go us."

"It's been a long day, but yeah," Brooklyn said. He nudged her gently, but didn't say anything else.

On the way, they passed the stables, where Tyson and Mrs. O'Leary were sleeping in. Tyson snored on a bed of hay next to the unicorns, a blissful look on his face like he was dreaming of ponies. Mrs. O'Leary had rolled on her back and covered her ears with her paws. On the stable roof, Ella roosted in a pile of old Roman scrolls, her head tucked under her wings.

When they got to the forum, they sat by the fountains and watched the sun come up. The citizens were already busy sweeping up cupcake simulations, confetti, and party hats from last night's celebration. The engineer corps was working on a new arch that would commemorate the victory over Polybotes.

Hazel said she'd even heard talk of a formal triumph for the four of them — a parade around the city followed by a week of games and celebrations. Brooklyn loved the sound of that, but her head didn't. It's been throbbing the entire time she's been awake because of the onslaught of memories that were coming at her.

Percy told them about his dream of Juno, which made Brooklyn scrunch up her nose.

Hazel frowned. "The gods were busy last night. Show them, Frank."

Frank reached into his coat pocket. Brooklyn thought he might bring out his piece of firewood, but instead he produced a thin paperback book and a note on red stationery.

"These were on my pillow this morning." He passed them to Percy. "Like the Tooth Fairy visited."

The book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Brooklyn refused to read it because her mother wanted her to, but she could guess who sent it. The letter read: Good job, kid. A real man's best weapon is his mind. This was your mom's favorite book. Give it a read. P.S. — I hope your friend Percy has learned some respect for me.

"Wow." Percy handed back the book. "Maybe Mars is different than Ares. I don't think Ares can read."

Frank flipped through the pages. "There's a lot in here about sacrifice, knowing the cost of war. Back in Vancouver, Mars told me I'd have to put my duty ahead of my life or the entire war would go sideways. I thought he meant freeing Thanatos, but now . . . I don't know. I'm still alive, so maybe the worst is yet to come."

He glanced nervously at Brooklyn and Percy, and she got the feeling Frank wasn't telling them everything. To be honest she didn't care, though. It was whatever.

"You risked your life," Percy said. "You were willing to burn up to save the quest. Mars can't expect more than that."

"Maybe," Frank said doubtfully.

Hazel squeezed his hand.

They seemed more comfortable around each other this morning, not quite as nervous and awkward. Brooklyn wondered if they'd started dating. She hoped so, but she wasn't going to be the one who asked.