chapter One

Church bells were ringing, and a sound of despair and sadness rang out. Outside was cold and windy, I was walking down the empty street with my headphones in. Today is an isolated day in this small town. No laughter, no happiness, and no trust, today was a day to either beg for your sins to be forgiven or be slaughtered. It is by far my favorite time of the year.

I wander down the street, eyeing all of the closed signs and boarded-up windows that make the town look abandoned. I stood still once my phone started vibrating in my back pocket. I took a frustrated sigh, as I already knew who was calling. I pulled the phone from my pocket, picking up the call. "Hello?" The loud static through the phone caught me off guard. "Hyun-dal!" the high yet terrifying voice yelled over the phone. It wasn't my brother. Chills ran through my body as I felt my palms grow sweaty. " Eomma?" I asked with a shaky tone in my voice, "Hyun-dal Park!" Where are you? It's almost time for the hunt! She scolded, "Yeah, I know. I'm on my way home, I was just going to get Hong Joong." I replied, trying not to sound annoyed, "Ok, be sure to hurry up, honey. Your father won't be delighted if you're late." "Ok, give me five minutes." "Ok," she replied before hanging up. I smiled rebelliously and ducked rapidly, as a kitchen knife flew over my head. "Hyung, you could've used a better weapon." The knife ran through the concrete road, leaving a huge crack. I scoffed looking up at Hong Joong.

"You're no fun, Hyun-dal," he pouted.

"Actually, no, you're just bad at aiming, Hyung," I smirked and dashed off back up the road. Hongjoong pulled the kitchen knife out of the concrete, struggling a bit, before quickly following after me.

Soon afterward.

Me and Hongjoong arrived at my house and walked to the gate that led to the backyard and jumped the fence. My eyes widened in amazement. I saw a lot of people and all sorts of weapons. I watched as my older brother walked in front of the crowd, clearing his throat to catch the crowd's attention. "So as all of you know," he continued while pacing back and forth, "today is the eclipse, today we grim reapers, assassins, and sin cleansers will purify this world of their mistakes!" The crowd cheered aggressively. "C'mon, Namdongsaeng," Hongjoong said, grasping my wrist and pulling me to the front of the crowd. Seonghwa signaled for me and Hyung, most likely for the ritual. We both made our way to Seonghwa, standing on both sides of him. The three of us held our wrists over the urn, taking turns slitting our wrists and gazing as our drops of blood varied. I rest my wrist back down at my thigh for the wound to be rehabilitated. "So let the hunt begin!" I shouted out eagerly.

After the ritual, I wandered around looking for something to do, and Hong Jong followed closely behind me. "Hyung, you know you don't have to follow me everywhere." He nodded. "Yeah, I know it's just... I'm so happy you're finally becoming a man." I could see his eyes start to tear up. "Ugh, you're so weird. We better get going whoever ends up with the highest kill rate gets their name written in the book of commitment!" He wiped his eyes and stood up tall, pushing his chest out in pride. "I bet I'll win this time, your dad won last year, but this year is mine, I can just sense it!"

I smile in amusement "Um...yea. Now come on! I call dibs on the dao!"