CHAPTER 2: Breath of Crenith

The barren soil that had long ago been stripped of its nutrients was nothing more than dried ashes. Once there were lush green pastures where animals were bred. Now it had become nothing but waste...

Crenith was an expansive, lawless, and ruined country with five capitals known as Cities of Pain.

Crenith, place where all evil lies. Those who passed through the darkened gates either had a death wish, were fleeing persecution, or were committing vile acts in secret.

Val and Eddipus had a different reason for treading the ash-covered streets of the dark nation. They saught Barrisha, an ancient king who held the cure that they sought. Val sniffed the air and stifled a cough.

"Smells of sulphur." He gasped.

"It is sulphur, my friend. This air is dry. Eons ago fire rained from the sky and destroyed the five cities."

The air burned in their throats. To the south of them were the banks of the Tannik. Behind them were clear skies, clean springs, and thriving wildlife. Ahead, the atmosphere was a mix of yellow and green. The air could steal your life, the land took thirty long days to cross. Draugen lurked everywhere in the ruined cities, on the chipped and dusty roads, and in the abandoned graveyards.

"I hope you are prepared, Val."

"Always."

They walked a good distance, kicking up ash and dirt and wrapping rags around their mouths.

"Val, do not wonder. Do not rest your eyes. Do not brood or blink. Do not even concentrate on seeing anyone who crosses our path."

"I've heard stories."

"Legends are based on forms of truth. The creatures that inhabit Crenith were once Westerian types. They can take many forms, including animal." He paused.

Not long after Eddipus said this, a grey wolf stood before them. Eddipus extended his arm in front of Val to stop their movement. The beast's glowing red eyes peered at them through the yellow and green haze. Drool dripped through its jagged teeth and from the sides of its jowls.

It stood firm as Eddipus and Val stared it down.

"Do not move." Eddipus whispered.

He did not dare. Normally Val was the calm type, cool and collected. But this place filled his heart with fear and discourse.

One look into the thing's piercing eyes and he knew it was no wolf.

The animal growled, turned its head away, and moved off the path.

"They attract unfortunate travelers to eat." Eddipus relaxed his arm and they continued their journey.

"If we are not careful, the Draugen will lure us in, drink our blood, and steal our coin. Perhaps not in that order."

"Pleasant," whispered Val sarcastically.

As they passed cemeteries, destroyed villages, and bases, Val caught glimpses of glowing red eyes on him from all sides. He hated being gawked at. Worse, he hated being gawked at with intent.

"They are protectors of Crenith."

"What's to protect?" asked Val.

"Whatever they consider their property."

Val paused and unrolled a map. The rough, ashy wind nearly tore the parchment away.

He found a flat stone and held it to the surface. Eddipus stood back and looked over Val's shoulder as he knelt down and pointed at the paper. The yellowing fog was blinding and both had to squint to see.