CHAPTER 9: Nyxith's Hald'gula

She wore Lisa like a mask. Nyxith was like a passenger. Plans changed from her vengeance to a meeting with the queen in Westerian Cardamon. She fumed and her power coursed like a deadly poison. She was like a knife to Lisa.

In a forest beyond the Red, Tana Ma'hra trotted. With his sienna-colored mane unbound and flowing back against his riders. Lisa fought to stay awake. She was losing consciousness and felt herself slipping. 

Nyxith was a self-aware shadow bent on slaughter and Lisa defied her actions.

When doing so, she had only added herself as a stumbling block for her plan and the possession would be painful. Hald'gula was elvish for wild or possessed and Lisa felt both. She tried to focus on the Winds, on the Westerian against her Body, on the galloping hooves of her friend, but Nyxith was bold. She would make Lisa suffer immeasurable agony.

The midnight hour was close.

"Whoa, Tana!." She spoke.

Tallik leapt down and offered his hand to her. Lisa was surprised and reached out to grab his hand. She smiled as she slid down from the stallion.

She fell into his arms, their eyes meeting and for a brief moment Tallik lost grip on reality. She stared longingly into his eyes. He closed in and was about to kiss her when-- 

He shook his head and pushed her away. "No. This is not something I can do."

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, Ara'vestr."

"I'll gather wood." He walked away. "...and I'm not uncomfortable!"

"I'll set some traps," Lisa replied

"I'll set some traps," Lisa replied. "Try to capture an Alcorn for dinner."

Tallik couldn't argue against that. After all, Alcorn Deer had been his favorite since he was very young. Yet, one thing he would argue against were the feelings slowly whelming up inside him. He still hadn't fully trusted her.

****

Thirty days had passed...

The sun rose above the horizon. The elvenkind smiled in relief.

"Get out the map, Val."

He unrolled the damaged parchment with a torn edge. "Looks like we're here." Val pointed to the fortress and rolled up the sheet, stowing it away.