CHAPTER 13: The Reward

In the majestic and towering royal hall, the centerpiece - a once silent stone hexagonal crate burst open with disquieting reverberations. Newcomers had awakened the monstrous, bat-like king within. The awe-inspiring crystalline ceiling flickered with dancing reflections of the dreadful, dark King Barrisha rising with zeal.

Val, the scarred archer with a distinctive green hood stood in shock

This was no Rapha but a huge Darkling bat!

Eddipus, the muscular sage adorned with flowing silver hair and beard, raised Teylavere. 

Barrisha looked down at the two figures backing away. He smiled, not knowing who the two mortals were.

Val's trusty bow and arrows were matched only by Eddipus's magnificent sword, Teylavere. All weapons gleamed beneath the crystal vault above.

"I am the great King Barrisha! Why hath thou woken me from my slumber?"

"We have come to find a cure for Adeve, Barrisha, our magical sage-fruit tree. She is dying!" Spoke Eddipus.

"I withhold the cure. Through much experimentation, I found the gift of eternal life. I took up the elixer, vile and all. I've become the Darkling you see before you. Do you think I want to give that up?"

Barrisha flew into a rage and grabbed the hexagonal crate lid. He hurled the heavy stone at the two, who dodged out of the way. The covering shattered into pieces on the floor.

"Then fight me. But you shall not take the vile from inside me while I still breathe."

Eddipus and Val held their ground. The huge Darkling flapped its wings and created a strong gust of wind.

Val noticed a white patch on Barrisha's neck.

'A weak spot?' He thought.

The two tried to keep on their feet while Barrisha kept flapping his wings. Val cocked an arrow. He pulled it tight on his bow and released it, but the bat creature's outstretched wing smack it away.

The giant Darkling turned towards the archer. Val jumped out of the way as a wing came at him and struck a pillar, breaking the rock-solid support to pieces.

 "We will not sway us with intimidation, Barrisha." Eddipus spoke, climbing the steps. He had reached the neck of the beast. He swung his sword.

The duo were no craven but tarried away with caution and foresight! 

The great bat reached out its clawed hand and grabbed Eddipus like a little toy figurine. Eddipus cried out and thrust his sword into the creature's hand. Barrisha flew upwards and carried him high toward the ceiling. Val drew another arrow. He took aim and released.

"How do you kill it!" He dodged another swing from its wing. "He's indomitable!" Val yelled.

He dodged every swipe of Barrisha's devastating wing. The reprobate struck again, throwing Val onto his back. The energetic swoops dimmed the candles and torches around the great hall.