Chapter 20: Samson and Mirranda

Mirranda and Samson stepped between two thatched huts.

It was time.

Mirranda and Samson cozied up. The humid air was thick and inviting with anticipation. The night sky was filled with stars and the crickets sang a soothing tune in the background as the two stared into each other's eyes. Samson was ready; he wanted to know the truth about her mysterious spine and she wanted to answer his query. He knew of her mother, yet to witness the transformation firsthand was exciting.

Mirranda and Samson moved closer to each other.

Tonight was the night Mirranda had planned to show him. Days ago, they had met for the first time, not knowing what to expect.

She stood, backing away from the boy, her heart pounding against her chest. Mirranda clenched her fists and drew a deep breath before a soft groan escaped her lips. He heard a crack and popping sound as she unfurled her 8 glimmering legs, batting them down toward the ground. Her abdomen emerged, bobbing and pulsating. It glinted in the light from a nearby lamp as her beautiful, Westerian-like form dangled high.

Vibrant black and red scales cascaded over her petite spiderling-spider legs in shimmering waves. It caused Samson's heart to pound. The sight of her form mesmerized Samson. He watched as she gracefully moved, the curves of her body illuminated by a glowing light from a nearby window. It both sent chills up his spine and pulled at his heartstrings with admiration.

His knees trembled as he looked upon her majestic silhouette in fear and amazement. Torn between curiosity and dread, Samson's chest tightened as he stepped forward toward her. He lingered on her jet-black eyes that glimmered in the pale. They sparkled like saucers in the moonlight.

He noticed the faint ruddy hue of her cheeks.

"I'm sorry I couldn't show you sooner. I thought it would scare you away." Her voice quivered, hesitant. He extended his arm and touched her hand, feeling the soft warmth of her pale Weterian skin against his own. "Scare me? No! I love your form, Westerian or gorgeous Spiderling. It doesn't matter." He whispered in awe.

Mirranda had dreaded this moment, but relief washed over her as he smirked. She smiled with gratitude through tears-a genuine smile that reached his eyes. Samson appreciated her uniqueness as one of the last of the Spiderlings. Rarer than any beauty in Fonde.

The tension that once coiled tightly within her dissipated like mist after a breeze. She scooped and held him in her eight arms before placing him down. She retracted her limbs and ran to him. Samson embraced Mirranda as they shared a tender kiss. Her kiss sent a shudder through him. He knew she felt the same. Their connection had now been firmly established.

Mirranda, had only experienced affection through her mother, father and sister. In the end, she found a new embrace, a new affection.

Samson and Mirranda stopped and pulled away. "I'd like you to meet Hilda. She's been like a mother to me."

They made their way to an alcove where a small memorial was set up.

A tall blonde with a cloth over her eye sat in silence on a bench, a warm smile across her face. A glow was about her.

"Hello Hilda. This is Mirranda."

Mirranda aproached and greeted her.

"Your eyes are so dark, Mirranda. So deep. Very beautiful."

"Thank you, priestess. I'm a Spiderling."

Mirranda approached and sat beside Hilda. She noticed a small spider crawling across Hilda's foot. She gently bent and let it crawl onto her pointer finger.

Mirranda focoused closly at it, bringing her finger closer to her face. A tingle ran through her hand. She felt the spider's quick bite and smiled, then lowered her hand. The spider crawled away into a thicket, resting against Prince Vinan's cairn.

"Perhaps I'm not as alone as I thought." She giggled.
"What do you mean." Hilda replied.

"Could this be my home." She asked, turning to Hilda.

Hilda lifted her chin and smiled. "Yes. Very much so."

"My family are all dead and my sister, Rose lives in the North. One day I'll return for a visi. I told her that I was on a journey to find myself."

"Have you?"

Mirranda smiled again. She looked over at the spider and back to Samson who stood stoic at the memorial gate. He looked back at her returning a smirk.

"I think I have."

She turned back to Hilda.

"When Eddipus returns, I'll take my father's house. You can live with us along with Samson.

Mirranda hugged her.

"Thank you so much!"

"Remember, there's others out there. Your not alone."

Finally, Mirranda could accept that.