CHAPTER 4: Ender Samuell

The cave, that Hallow. It lay in the valley and was the last stronghold of the elves of the Red Forest. Most of the red were part of a clan of magical beings who lived in the state of Southern Mountain Range, in Hilltop village away from the Hallow.

In the center of the Hallow stood an ancient, magical tree with a deep, open canopy above it. The tree was the first and the last of enchanted trees. It was predicted in ancient books that the hanging sage fruit would heal the sick and help the injured. It was also said that the elves would live in harmonious peace with Man as long as the tree remained healthy.

But the tree was dying. Eddipus and Hilda stepped into the center of the cave. She looked up at the tree while Eddipus reached for the dangling fruit clinging to the gnarled wood.

The clan master of the elves, Dante, would know what was wrong with the magic tree if Eddipus could bring a sample. Hilda was silent and Eddipus looked down at her.

"I have to go to Master Dante. He will pray," he said. "He will send me on a quest," he continued. "But I must go alone. I have to go now. I love you. I will always love you, Hilda."

"Please take this with you, my dear." Hilda opened her necklace, which dangled from her breast, and pulled on it. Hanging from a silver chain was a thin purple ribbon with a small silver cross on it.

"My Vidian, my heart will be with you forever. I have blessed it. As long as the colour is bright, there is hope." She pulled out another Vidian and placed it around her neck. "Two hearts, one love. Bound to each other forever. When the color goes out, I'll know you have fallen in battle."

Eddipus smiled. "The war in our lands will stop before it even begins. Take care of Sister Lisa while I am gone. She can not--" Eddipus paused. What can she not do? He couldn't remember. The words seemed to slip from his mouth and the memory of what he wanted to say faded, but he had to say it.

"I'll be back soon. I love you."

"I love you too, my warrior."

Eddipus turned and walked away. He felt a hand on his shoulder.

"You will never remember who she is, Eddipus."

He turned around with a start and saw a creature clutching him tightly. She was an ugly old witch with four faces.

He blinked, rubbed his eyes, and opened them again to find that it was gone and he was holding Hilda's hands again.

"I'm almost full--" Hilda attempted to say.

"Master Dante will send me on my way, I will complete his task and then return."

Hilda pressed the Vidian against his chest as he clasped her hands. He kissed her. They pressed lips for a while and he closed his eyes.

The smell in the cave had changed from Hilda's familiar cherry blossoms, red elven wood, and Mahogany teak to a strange, smoky incense. He opened his eyes again and felt an overwhelming sense of dread and death around him.

At that moment, Eddipus realized he was kissing the monster from before. 

The ugly old hag.

He quickly tore himself away from her as she laughed wickedly, only to see Hilda again, as if he were in a waking nightmare. He shook himself.

Again Eddipus had lost the memory.

"--Full term, I don't know how I'll hide it."

Eddipus didn't hear Hilda say that.

"I must go now."

They pressed and locked lips for some time before breaking away. An ancient law had been broken.