Always Trust Your Gut

Intuition;

noun:

If something feels doubtable, even without reason, or your inside monologue speaks up regardless of the situation, it’s your natural ability to stay the fuck alive. Intuition is that inner voice saying danger, that’s a stupid idea, cease and desist. Hybrids may have a higher instinct for survival, a higher intuition, but humans have made it thus far by relying on those primitive traits passed down. 

You understood all of this, what you couldn’t grasp was why anxiety had such a death grip on your throat.

You struggled with your clothes, then began working on the ties of your boots while Hoseok was busy bringing in snow to put out the hot coals in the hearth. You felt like you had been hit by a truck; a combination of falling in the lake and the previous night’s activities leaving you a sore mess.

It was early morning when you had woke, Hobi snuggled against your side with the hearth’s flames nothing more than a soft glow beneath burnt wood. You were sticky with sweat and the bed was damp; a graphic reminder of everything that had happened.

It took several minutes of deep, even breathing to calm the panic attack that had begun to form, wave after wave of horror and realization sweeping over you in spirals of shame and condemnation.

‘You took advantage of Hobi.. You used him.. What have I done?’ Were all thoughts that kept echoing through your mind as you struggled to sit up, inadvertently waking up said snow leopard.

All the ambience and rose colored goggles of the previous night were destroyed, replaced by a cold, empty silence. Neither of you spoke, barely looking at each other as you both worked to dress.

‘What did I do?’ Sounded off in your head once again as the hybrid turned to you, clearing his throat to speak. “Do you want me to carry you? We need to hurry back so the others don’t do anything stupid..”

You wanted to protest, to say you could run fine on your own, but when you stood, all arguments faltered when your every muscle locked up, feeling like one big bruise. “That.. might be better,” you sighed pitifully, putting on your coat before hobbling to where Hobi crouched down, ready for you to climb onto his back.

Inwardly, you complained about his choice of carrying method, but you understood it was for better running capability. Didn’t mean it was going to hurt less though, you thought. Even as you felt sorry for him, you wanted to hit him for his roughness.

Securely in place on his back, he hefted you up then took off running. Hybrids were faster than you expected. You learned in class that they had up to three quarters of the muscle strength of their animal counterparts, but in action, you were still surprised. Hobi was running at least as fast as an olympic sprinter. It was no wonder you hadn’t been able to keep up with him before.

Ducking your head to the base of his neck, you held on for dear life, waiting out the ride until he finally slowed to a walking pace.

“You okay?” He panted, adjusting your weight on his arms.

“Sore,” you grunted, but lifted your head to see the lodge. “But I’m fine.”