Careful, Salt Can Look Like Sugar

Doubt:

/noun/

Feeling uncertain with your abilities, a situation, or even your emotions. It's a tricky and sometimes exceptionally hard belief to overcome. Even with the smallest embers to start, doubt can be stoked into a roaring fire with the slip of a tongue if one isn't careful.

Chewing your lips, your eyes darted side to side, following the pages word by word, searching for anything significant. Article after article spoke of stocks, trade deals, or political movements that spoke of change for the better and all that other bullshit. You twisted on your stomach, the floor becoming an uncomfortable pressure to your ribs as your teeth met the skin of your battered thumb again. You really needed to stop that habit. Ever since the ski trip, it's come back with a vengeance. Ever since..

You brushed the thought aside and clicked a new article. The seraph font was beginning to bother your eyes, so you made a mental note to pick up eye drops after work. 'Political party spends billions of dollars to combat the production and sale of hybrids.' The new article read. You scoffed, scanning the words. Your father really thought that was the core issue? You had asked him on the phone after your trip about if he thought hybrids were still so bad after meeting yours. He told you with an admonishing, 'dear,' just because you can raise them, doesn't mean you should.

As if that was why you took on seven unadoptable hybrids all at once..

That wasn't the only thing you were looking into however. You searched article after article about missing persons related to K.E.Y. using a work VPN and the results.. they made your stomach churn. Many workers were said to have been in accidents or gone missing after confronting the megacorp, dashing your hopes to find Milly with every sentence.

With an aggravated sigh, you rolled over the creaking exercise mat onto your back, closing your eyes. You'd been at it for so long, but there was still no sign of her. Her family had all but assumed her dead and her case went cold without any leads, but you had to keep at it. You were partially to blame after all. Not to mention the surge of fighting rings, and more questions than answers popping up within a domino effect. If anything, it lit a fire under your ass to get to the bottom of things.

Meaty thighs slid under yours as thick calves gripped and flexed, instantly jerking you around onto your stomach with a thud while you only had time to gasp. A weight settled over your backside that felt crushing before someone's panting breaths chuckled into your ear, his arms wrapping under your pinned waist in a tight hug.

"What are you doing? You've been stuck on your computer for weeks, noona," Jungkook's voice permeated the haze of momentary confusion just before your cheeks heated.

"S-Sorry." You attempted moving, but the bunny didn't let up, instead settling himself into a permanent lying position over you and stealing your breath. Quite literally, his crushing weight made it hard to fill your lungs properly. "It's research. For work," you lied, reaching for your laptop to close it before he could call your bluff.

Humming, he didn't respond. If he had caught your lie, he didn't say.

Another breath ladened voice started to scold just above you, startling you out of your skin. "You've also been on that floor for an hour." It was Tae's voice, and he had a point.

You had taken the two to the gym in the early hours before work when there'd be nobody around, their heavy breaths and exerted grunts your soundtrack while doing your research, evidently losing track of time.