Chapter One ~ Fragile

{Chapter I ~ Fragile}

Rhaenyra looked around in astonishment. Her first time being in Flea Bottom, disguised as a peasant boy and following her cloaked uncle.

All around her were things she had never been witness too, from cordwalkers to men being lured into pleasure houses, but nothing caught her eyes as much as the fortune teller did.

"Your child will have golden eyes!" The woman that had screeched at her was eyeless, yet she stared directly at Rhaenyra as if she could see her. Even as Rhaenyra walked past her, the woman turned her head and kept 'looking' at her whilst once more repeating the bold statement.

" They'll be highly sought after if that's the case, a Targaryen with eyes of gold" Her uncle muttered with a hint of sarcasm and jealousy.

With all that followed after that made Rhaenyra forget all about what the woman had said, instead focused on her betrothal and marriage to Ser Laenor, who she had struck a deal with, after a long and painful period of awkwardness with both her ex-best friend turned stepmother, her father and Ser Criston, who now only gave her harsh glares.

What was fortunate was that she and Laenor concieved on the first night of their marriage and that would be the end of it. Now she could sleep with whom she wanted and he could with whoever he pleased.

She finally felt at a slight sense of peace, she was pregnant with her first child, would no longer get absolutely drunk with Leanor to do their duties only for him to moan the name of a man whilst fucking her and the queen would no longer talk about infidelity.

The closer the due date got, the more nervous she became and she confided in Laenor about her mother dying in childbirth after so many failed pregnancies and how her sweet mother kept trying to give her father a son.

Now he had three, Aegon, Aemond and Dearon, as well as another daughter, Helaena. Her father rarely gave them more than a glance, as he favored her, the last remains of his beloved Aemma.

The prenancy went without bumps in the road, the day the child was born however was less than favorable. Rhaenyra refused to birth her child on the same day that Maegor the Cruel was born. It would not matter what Rhaenyra wanted, the child would be born and not even the gods could stop it.

Deemed already cursed for being born on such a day, the child was born blind and therefore considered damned. It broke both Rhaenyra and Laenor, they had so desired a healthy heir so they may live in comfort, perhaps this was punishment for their desires.

"Perhaps it would be wisest to rid of the child, it would be a mercy" The recent made parents stared at the maester in horror.

The child was born blind and weak, the opposite of Maegor despite being born on the cursed day, but to simply get rid of it for being so would make them more cruel than Maegor.

Rhaenyra could not get rid of the child, but she could not bring herself to love him either. She was convinced in her own mind that the child would die soon, much like her brother Baelon, who only spend a few hours on this world.

Laenor felt the same fear and refused to let go of the small child, who had ceased crying a few hours after his birth. The child was paler than both he and Rhaenyra, but the maesters said that it might have to do with how weak the child is.

His beloved son, so small and fragile. He slept so peacefully in his arms, he looked like the dolls that the queen gifted Helaena. If the girl would see his child, no doubt that she would assume a doll was missing from her collection.

The King's boys would either be gentle and kind with him or bully and mock him. Laenor wanted to bet on the latter, but prayed for the first.

"The King and Queen wish to see the child" A servant girl had stepped inside the room, meekly muttering the request of the king and queen.

"Laenor, please go, I can't find myself to move right now" Rhaenyra said softly. Leanor wanted to protest against the request that had been made, but he knew better than to disobey The Queen.

Still gently cradling the child to his chest, he followed silently after the servant. Everybody seemed to be staring at them, eager to see the offspring of their marriage.

Getting to the Queens solar, they were allowed in by Ser Harrold Westerling and Ser Criston Cole, the latter looking at him and the babe with undisguised grimace.

"There he is! My good son and my first grandchild! Let me look upon him" Laenor tried his best not to seem unsettled with placing his child in the arms of the King, but failed to look happy with it either.

"The child is blind, your grace" Laenor was tempted to rip the servant girls head from her neck, but refrained deeming it better to do at a more secluded area.

The King and the other occupants in the room looked at him and the child in pity. None quite sure what to say. Laenor wanted nothing more than to take his child and fly to Driftmark, to his mother and father, who he knew would open their arms to the child.

"What will you do with it?" Alicent questioned as she stared at the small child in her husband's arms, her motherly instincts wanted to hold the child and care for it, but she knew it would be better to kill it, rather than let it suffer.

"We will raise him, he is not an 'it', he is Vahaevon, the first of his name" Laenor had snapped, this day had been tiring and he held no more patience for anything.

"Vahaevon is a good name" Lord Strong, the Kings hand, praised. He was the first to say something kind, even if it was not directly to his child.

The others simply murmured their agreement, but the look in their eyes plainly read 'you are foolish for wasting your time on a blind son'.

"Is there an egg chosen for the cradle?" Viserys questioned, keeping his eyes on the sleeping face of his grandson.

"No, Vahaevon came sooner than expected, I plan on visiting the dragon pit soon" Viserys nodded in agreement, he would never admit aloud that he also didn't believe the child would live much longer or that the dragon egg placed in the crib would hatch.

Looking at the small babe in his arms, it reminded him of his beloved Aemma and his son, Baelon. He wished he had been less selfish, if he was perhaps he would've cradled Baelon's children too.

"We'll see to it that the child lived comfortably, for as long as it may live"