Chapter Seven ~ Rage

{Chapter VII ~ Rage}

Vahaevon was announced before he stepped into the room. it was silent now, the air so tense you could barely breathe.

"Vahaevon, my boy" Laenor sounded gentle, but Vahaevon could tell he was seething. He gently held out his hand for his father to take, which Laenor did and had guided Vahaevon to one of the chairs in the room.

The boy could hear his mother sigh with irritation, clearly pissed off by having to be in the presence of her child and his father.

"Do you feel neglected?" She asked, her voice nearly making Vahaevon jump as this had been the first time in a long time that she had addressed him.

"I am afraid I do not understand the question, Princess" Vahaevon said softly, but the response was the slam of a hand on the dark oak table that was in the room, making the cups and cutlery clatter on the table, causing Vahaevon to nearly jump out of his skin.

"I am your mother! At least call me such!" She seemed to roar like a dragon in this moment, this made Vahaevon flinch rather violently.

"If only you behaved as such" The boy mumbled under his breath. Laenor pinched his nose bridge, clearly feeling a massive headache brewing.

"Do you know why we called you here, Vahaevon?" Laenor questioned. Which was answered with a shake of the head and denial.

Rhaenyra was quiet as Laenor asked the question, observing her eldest child begrudgingly. He was growing up beautifully, he looked similar to her mother.

It infuriates her.

"Do you feel lesser than your brothers?" She snapped, the boy in front of her visibly flinched and seemed to shrink slightly.

She wanted this to be over with as soon as she possibly could, there was no point in beating around the bush if it could be settled soon.

Vahaevon remained quiet, but his body language gave them the answer they expected, 'of course I do, but I will not say it'.

Laenor looked at Rhaenyra with a look that screamed, 'Say something!'.

Rhaenyra took a deep breath and smiled, before realizing that Vahaevon could not see it.

"Would you like to spend more time with your brothers and I?" The question stunned Vahaevon, who frowned before answering the question, or rather asking it in return.

"I believe I should ask you that question, mother. Would you like to spend time with me?" The silence that followed was painful. Rhaenyra was aghast, as was Laenor when the words left their child's mouth.

The situation quickly escalated as Rhaenyra could only respond by slapping Vahaevon on the cheek, the skin quickly turning bright red.

The silence was deadly at this moment. Rhaenyra was breathing deeply, her body exhausted with her pregnancy and current emotions, Laenor was trying his best to remain calm and not hit the daughter of the king.

Vahaevon was cradling his enflamed cheek that would surely bruise within the next few hours.

"May I be excused?" Without waiting for the dismissal Vahaevon got up from chair and scooted over to the door, opening it and what followed Rhaenyra and Laenor could only assume was him asking Ser Qarl to bring him back to his rooms.

Laenor took a deep breath trying his best to calm himself and refrain from saying anything unseemly, so instead he grasped on of the goblets on the table and threw it across the room, shattering it.

"You hit our child" He said, his voice deadly as he looked at the floor, fearing what the would do should he look at his 'wife'.

"He is more your child than mine" She muttered as she also avoided looking at Laenor, tapping her fingers onto the table.

"I doubt he truly is mine sometimes, perhaps you can admit that all your children are bastards" He muttered now looking in her direction, her head snapped towards him her eyes wide.

"Vahaevon is yours!"

"Really?! I must've imagined him looking like Ser Criston then!"

If Rhaenyra's face could turn anymore red it would, before she could reply Laenor had stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him loudly and claiming that he would be in the company of Seasmoke should anyone need him.

Rhaenyra remained seated till Ser Harwin stepped into the room, his brows furrowed as he looked at the broken goblet.

"Don't ask"

Harwin nodded, but opened his mouth to speak anyways.

"Why do you treat Vahaevon the way you do?" He asked, his voice soft and non pushing.

Rhaenyra sighed and rubbed her head in pain.

"I..." She trailed off, she didn't truly have an answer.

"The boy hasn't truly done anything to deserve your anger, Princess" He said gently, he liked Vahaevon. The boy was kind and gentle, but a beast with a sharp tongue was hidden underneath pale skin.

"I had just hoped that he would be the reason Laenor and I could be free from any responsibility and he was born on the most horrid day of the year and blind!"

"That is not a reason, Rhaenyra. Vahaevon has no say in when he was born or in what condition he came out of your womb, why hold it against him? Because you wanted a freedom from duty?"

Rhaenyra stared at her lover, who was looking at her with both questioning and soft eyes, eyes which held no judgement.

Sobs we're loudly heard throughout the kitchens next to the bustling of kitchen staff.

"You'll be alright, our little prince" The kind nursemaid told him as she along with two others were comforting the crying boy.

While they had also been instructed to mistreat the boy, they simply couldn't. The prince had been so kind to them, always polite and requesting, rather than commanding.

The boy was a dragon, but not a cruel one.

The prince had been carried here by Ser Laenor's lover and had already been tearfully hiccuping, a red hand mark decorating his soft, pale skin.

The knight instructed them to comfort the prince and later escort him to his chambers.

The nursemaids that had been in the kitchen were quick to do so, fetching a cup of apple juice and a lemon tart for the sweet prince.

The dragon sniffled and rubbed at his cheeks and eyes with the sleeves of his silk tunic, a few hiccups escaping him.

"Let's get you to your room, sweet boy" A bruly man that worked the ovens said as he easily picked up the prince and started to carry him to his rooms, being escorted by the nursemaid.

"You'll find happiness soon, my Prince, please remember my words" The nursemaid said as she placed a short and sweet kiss against the boy's brow.