Chapter Two ~ Protector

{Chapter II ~ Protector}

It had been days since Vahaevon had been born. Laenor became more and more convinced that his child would live, while Rhaenyra believed that Vahaevon would die soon and refused to attach herself to him.

A wetnurse fed him and the only one that held him was Laenor. Laenor had noticed that the servants didn't waste time looking in Vahaevon's direction, so Laenor had turned into a single dad.

He changed Vahaevon's diapers, he washed him and was the one to sing songs to him. That was until his lover, Qarl had found out and became the babes second parent.

Though he might not have any experience being a fatherly or even brotherly figure, he knew how to love somebody and if that meant changing the dirty diapers of his lovers child and calling a wetnurse when the child cried and got hungry in the early morning hours, he would do so.

The lovers had beome irritated by the amount of looks they recieved when walking through the hallways or sitting in court as Laenor held the small child in his arms.

It soon became noticable that Rhaenyra held no love for the child, the pitiful stares became more irritating than the judgemental ones.

"Ser Laenor, I would like to formaly invite you and prince Vahaevon to break fast with me in the morrow" Ser Laenor didn't have time to respond, before the Queen had walked off with her servant hot on her heels.

Both Laenor and Qarl looked at each other, before looking at Vahaevon, who was making soft noises, then looking at each other again and awkwardly continuing on their way to the gardens.

They were in full bloom, colors everywhere and heavy flowery scents clouding the air. The servants had prepared a small feast for the father and son, as ordered by Laenor, and had set it up in a somewhat shaded area.

"My lord, would you like me to fetch a wetnurse for the prince?"

Laenor nodded and waved the servant off, being completely focused by Vahaevon, who had started chewing on the blanket he was swaddled in.

"Ser Laenor, how lovely it is to see you in these gardens"

There were only snakes in this pit called the Red Keep, Laenor had decided as the crippled form of Larys Strong appeared in his sight.

"Lord Strong, you seem to faring well" Laenor greeted, he knew it would be unwise to be discourteous to a man with eyes in the walls.

"Yes, quite. How, may I ask, is the princeling doing? I heard he is growing stronger by the day, truly a pity that there are no eggs for the craddle" Laenor bit back the venomous words on his tongue and nodded with discontent.

The king had informed him of Rhaenyra's desire not to put an egg in the craddle. For even if it hatched, Vahaevon couldn't be a dragonrider and the creature would be wasted.

"He is. Tell me, Lord Strong, did you seek something from me?" The question put an unsettling smile on Larys' lips and the man shook his head.

"No, I simply wished to know about the princes health, I can relate to him as all cripples relate to one another" Leanor could spot Qarls' hand tightening on the pommel of his sword, clearly becoming agitated by Lord Strongs words.

"Now I must be on my way, I am expecting a new cane to arrive to my apartments today" Both Laenor and Qarl followed the crippled movement, until the man was out of sight.

"If it weren't the truth he was speaking, I'd would've had you make him a head lighter"

"And I'd gladly have obeyed" Qarl would always obey Laenor, especially when it came to protecting his lovers child, a child that had become most precious to him aswell.

It was silent between them afterwards, the only noise heard was the sound of birds singing, leaves rustling in the wind and servants bustling around.

Vahaevon was squirming in his fathers hold and was making sounds similar to the chirps of birds, as if he was trying to speak to them.

The noises put a smile on the mens faces, but soon the moment was interrupted by a toddler with curly blond hair and dark purple eyes sprinted towards them and dived into the bushes behind Qarl.

Soon a servant followed looking around frantically, stumbling into the seat Laenor was seated in, gaining a glare from the men as Vahaevon's head got bumped against the table Laenor and him were sitting against and made the infant burst into a screaming bundle.

"I am so sorry, my lords! I was trying to find Prince Aegon" The servant apologized, dipping into a low bow before running off in search of the prince, leaving them with a crying infant.

Aegon crawled out of the bushes after the woman left, covered in dirt with sticks and leaves sticking to him.

"I didn't mean to get them hurt" The boy muttered, as he looked at Vahaevon's red face, still in tears. Laenor looked at the boy and nodded.

"I know, it was the servants fault, she should've been more careful" Aegon stepped forward slowly, getting closer to Laenor and Vahaevon.

Aegon watched as Laenor slowly got the infant to calm down, the babe now only sniffling and making slightly choked up noises.

"His name is Vahaevon, he's your nephew" Laenor told Aegon, as the boy gently put his small hand on Vahaevon's head, touching the soft hair.

"He's so tiny, smaller than Aemond" He said, as he stared at the babe, his words held no judgement and his eyes stared with adoration.

"Yes, it is why he must be protected and cared for, he can't train like you and Aemond will, he'll need someone to fight for him"

"I'll do it! I'll protect him! My mother tells me that it is my duty to protect my family!" Aegon claimed, rather loudly, it caused a giggle to come from Vahaevon, rather than the crocodile tears Laenor and Qarl expected.

"I'll hold you on to that, Prince Aegon. Now I'm rather sure that you have lessons to return to"

Aegon was about to protest when a servant returned with both a wetnurse and the servant that was in search of Aegon.

"Prince Aegon, you are to return to your chambers by order of her grace, the Queen" At that Aegon got to running to his freedom, the servant hot on his heels.

"He'll be a fine man later" Laenor muttered sarcastically as he handed his child to the wetnurse and looked away as she began feeding him.

"Who knows, perhaps he will actually be a good man"