Chapter Five ~ Reading

{Chapter V ~ Reading}

Years had passed and Vahaevon was now ten years of age, growing up under the guidance of his father. A gentle and kind boy, who was often taken advantage of without his own knowledge.

The maids had become cruel by order of Criston, who had been enraged by Rhaenyra prancing around. They would move furniture around and clothed him inproperly, making him even more of laughing stock for nobles of the Red Keep.

Luckily for Vahaevon, he was often spared of this. His uncles, Aegon and Aemond had come to his rescue more than he could count. Dressing him properly and guiding him around.

Not that this saved him from the cruelty of his own family...

Vahaevon had his hands clasped in his lap as he listened to Jacaerys read out the texts of Aegon's conquest.

He now had two brothers, with a third sibling on the way. His brothers, Jacaerys and Lucerys had both been born with seeing eyes and in full health.

They even had their own dragons, their eggs had hatched soon after their birth, whilst Vahaevon was still dragonless and would be forever so.

Vahaevon was cast aside, the preference of Princess Rhaenyra was quite obvious. He held no titles other than prince and there had been no offers of bethrothal for him, not even of the lower lords, the ones that would crawl on their hands and knees for a mere glance of the royal family.

The door to the maesters study opened with a loud creek and the announcement of the princess being here.

"There are my boys!" Vahaevon didn't move at the sound of his mother's voice, knowing that she wasn't here for him.

"Mother!" Lucerys had undoubtedly jumped from his chair and rushed into his mother's arms, from the sound of the chair scrapping across the floor and the pitter patter of footsteps on stone.

"My princess, we were reading about the conquest, do you wish to join us?" Vahaevon could almost picture the heads of his brothers nodding up and down in excitement.

"Well, the princes and I are to be headed to the dragon pitt, the reading of the conquest shall have to wait, now if you'll excuse us. Jace, Luke let's go"

The sound of another chair scrapping against the floor followed after his mother finished speaking, along with footsteps and the closing of the door.

He could feel the eyes of the maesters on his skin after the door closed, he could feel his throat closing, his eyes turning watery and his skin heating up.

"Could you please read to me?" His voice was cracking and he couldn't prevent the tears from falling. The maesters had seen this time and time before, but did as the prince asked, knowing how worse he felt when asked of his well being.

Yet the maesters could not help but feel sorry for the child, as they tried to ignore the sniffles and hiccups escaping the small body.

Concern rattled them however, when the prince's breathing started to become labored and the child had started grasping onto his clothes, where his heart is.

"My prince?" A younger man, in training and quite a fast learner, had placed a hand on the boys shoulder, the other maesters wanted to come closer, but felt it would make the prince worse.

"Get Ser Laenor" It was an order from one of the elder maesters as the prince started to become erratic and panicked.

The boy was pulling at his clothes and clawing at his throat. Despite his eyes unseeing, a panic was visible in them. He was twisting his head, as if trying to find someone to help him.

"My prince, calm your thoughts and calm your heart" The man advised, gently grabbing the hand that the prince was clawing at his throat with, in hopes the boy wouldn't hurt himself.

"Vahaevon?!" The door had been slammed open by an anxious Laenor, who was quickly at his sons side.

The man was out of breath and sweaty, dressed in his training garb. Vahaevon 'looked' at his father and was now grasping at the mans clothes.

"Shh, don't worry my boy, I'm here, I'm here" Ser Laenor assured his son, gently running his fingers through the silver blond curls.

It took minutes before Vahaevon's breathing now came in stutters and hiccups, but no longer in a concerning way.

"What happened?" Ser Qarl, who had entered the room not soon after Laenor, questioned.

"I would like to know as well" The maesters shared a look, but answered truthfully.

Laenor could only hold Vahaevon closer to his chest with every word the maester spoke, his teeth gritting against each other and his muscles growing more tense.

"My head hurts father" Vahaevon whispered against his shoulder, Laenor shushed him softly and rubbed his sons arm in comfort.

"The prince will need some rest after such a moment" Laenor agreed with the advice and lifted his son into his arms, carrying him to his apartment.

On the way there they passed the training yard, where Aegon and Aemond were being trained in archery. They paused when they set eyes on their favorite nephew being carried hurriedly towards the royal apartments with maesters on the heels.

"Focus!" The princes flinced at the shout from Ser Criston Cole, who barely spared a glance at the scene, whilst others stared curiously in the direction Laenor disappeared in.

"No doubt the prince is being a whinny cunt"

"They should've rid of him years ago"

"At least he's not a bastard like his brothers"

Aegon and Aemond shared a look, unspoken they agreed to seek out Vahaevon later.

Laenor had reached Vahaevon's apartments, the room being mostly empty, actually it contained no decorations other than a Valeryon and a Targaryen banner hanging above his overly pillowed bed.

There had been personalized furniture in the room, Laenor didn't allow there to be any sharp or pointed objects. The servants had also been handpicked, they were absolutely loyal to Laenor and Vahaevon. Or at least they thought so.

"Dress him in sleeping attire and let him rest, wake him for supper, we'll dine here" Laenor commanded as he put Vahaevon in a wooden chair, which had seahorses carved into it.

The servants immediately got to work and Laenor left, heading towards the dragon pit. He needed a word with Rhaenyra and a stern one at that.

Qarl followed and the knight listened to Laenor's angered words that were muttered under his breath.

"He'll be alright, I'm certain of it" He tried to comfort, but it only gained him an agitated snarl.

"He'll never be alright! Not physically, not mentally and certainly not emotionally if he's treated like a lesser son!"

He recieved no agrument for his words, not that he had expected any.

His son deserved better.

His Vahaevon deserved better.

Sometimes it seemed as if the boy could see more than those with sight, even more than Helaena.

Even Vahaevon could see that he was treated worse than those... Those bastards.

Laenor was able to see past how Rhaenyra treated the children, but it was getting to a point even a jester could not jest about it.