one.

••••••

Sapphire Young.

"Jalen, if you're gonna eat my cereal you could maybe not eat more than two damn bowls," Sapphire fussed, holding the box in her hand. "You don't even know nothing about Honey Ohs!"

Jalen laughed, putting down his spoon. "Shit, I do now. They good too baby."

Sapphire shook her head, putting the box in the pantry. "Did Von text you?"

Jalen nodded, putting a spoonful of cereal in his mouth. "Yeah, ain't nobody stuntin' him though. I'll show up when I feel like it."

"So that means we'll be taking separate cars, got it." Sapphire laughed, sitting at the table. "You not getting me in trouble with him."

Jalen laughed. "Nah, I'll be ready on time baby."

Sapphire and Jalen had been dating since their sophomore year of college. Sapphire was fresh out of a relationship and wasn't looking for anyone, but then there was Jalen.

"Can I get 40 on pump eight?" Sapphire requested, handing the cashier her card.

"Sure thing." The cashier smiled at her, swiping her card. "Here you go. Would you like your receipt?"

"No, it's fine," Sapphire assured grabbing her drink off the counter. "Thank you, have a great day."

"You too!"

Sapphire walked out of the gas station with her slushie in one hand and her card in the other. She hated pumping gas on her own but she of course had no other choice after breaking things off with her now ex-boyfriend.

"Ugh, this is so stupid," Sapphire mumbled to herself and she fumbled with the gas nozzle. "I hate this."

"I got it, love," Jalen spoke up walking up to her. "What does your car take?"

"Regular," Sapphire answered, handing him the gas nozzle. "Thank you. I haven't touched one in so long that I pretty much forgot how to use it."

Jalen chuckled, sticking the nozzle into her tank and holding the clamp. "Don't worry about it, I would say you're a step ahead of every other female. Ya know considering the fact that most of them think diesel is regular gas."

Sapphire laughed lightly leaning against her car. "Well, that makes me feel a lot better."

Jalen tilted his head, nodding towards the sticker on her car. "Oh, so you a 'bama baddie?"

Sapphire chuckled nodding her head. "I am and I take it from your shirt you go there as well."

"Yeah, I do. I play football," Jalen answered, shaking the gas nozzle. "What you majoring in?"

"Biochemistry." Sapphire smiled. "You?"

"Public Relations." Jalen smiled, closing her gas tank. "All done, love."

Sapphire clasped her hands together. "Thank you so much...."

"Jalen." He answered. "What's your name?"

"Sapphire."

"Pretty name to match that pretty face," Jalen flirted, pulling out his phone. "So, what's it gonna take for me to get to know you better?"

Sapphire chuckled, gently taking his phone out of his hand. "Well, I think you've already exceeded my expectations by pumping my gas for me. So, here you go."

Jalen smiled. "What you doing after this?"

Sapphire shook her head. "Nothing. Probably going to the café."