seven

i didn't proofread so please excuse any mistakes.
•••••
Jalen Hurts.

"You wanna go out for dinner?" Jalen asked, looking over at Sapphire who was sitting on the opposite end of the couch in her phone.

"No, I'd rather order out," Sapphire dismissed, never looking up from her phone. "Actually, Ari wants to go out so that's what I'll do."

Jalen sighed, grabbing the Roku remote. "Sapp, it's been a week and you're still giving me the cold shoulder. You said you forgive me but you aren't acting like it, how does that work?"

"Because I don't wanna go to dinner with you?"

"Don't do that, you've shot down every attempt I've made to spend time with you," Jalen corrected. "You don't even want me kissing you, it's not fair."

"Fair? Jalen, please," Sapphire put her hand up. "Listen, I said I forgive you and I really do but that doesn't mean things are just gonna go back to how they used to be,"

"You also said you would try!" Jalen reminded, tossing the remote. "You ignoring me and shit isn't you trying! You're being so unreasonable,"

Jalen's family had left five days ago and Sapphire was barely acknowledging him. She was being distant and standoffish and it was pissing Jalen off.

He knew that she was still hurt about him lying but she also promised him that she would move on and not let it affect their relationship.

"You're right, I said I would try," Sapphire said, taking a deep breath. "We can go out to dinner,"

Jalen shook his head. "Nah,"

Sapphire sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes. "You just threw a hissy fit and when I decide to give in you say no? What did you even do all of that for then?"

"Listen, what am I supposed to do to make you see that I'm sorry and that it was a mistake?" Jalen asked, tilting his head. "Baby, just tell me what to do,"

"I—I don't know J, I really don't know," Sapphire sighed, running her fingers through her hair. "You're making an effort and I see it and I appreciate it. We can go out to dinner,"

Jalen looked at her before nodding his head. "Okay, I'm taking you to that steakhouse you like."

Sapphire removed the throw blanket from her body while standing up. "Well then I better start getting ready now,"

Jalen watched as she walked off. He didn't want her to feel like he was pushing her to forgive him but he also didn't want her to think that what she had been doing was okay.

He'd walk into rooms and she'd walk out, he'd attempt to have a conversation with her and she'd find ways to get out of it, and the one that pissed him off the most was that she was placing a pillow between them when they slept at night. To him, those weren't the actions of someone trying to move on.

When it came time to get dinner, Sapphire tried her best to make conversation with Jalen at the table. She was being mean and she knew it, but a part of her felt like her actions were justified.

"So, what's the status on Asha transferring?" Sapphire questioned, sipping her drink.

"She'll have to wait it out until the end of the semester, but she got accepted to Penn," Jalen said, clearing his throat. "You've barely touched your food,"

Sapphire looked down at her plate then back up at him, "I'm not as hungry as I thought,"

Jalen slowly nodded, picking up his glass. "You sure? You wanna try something else?"