Almost best roommate ever

Ocean was crying in her bed, tears streaming down her face, trying to be as silent as possible so she didn't wake Ricky up. She was thinking and thinking, at least a thousand thoughts were flowing through her brain. She was hyperventilating and about to break down. That's when someone tapped her on the shoulder and she almost had a heart attack.

"Are you okay?" Ricky had a concerned look on their face, looking at Ocean like she was a dying animal they had found on the highway. "I- i had a-" was all Ocean was able to get out before she started crying again. Ricky sat down next to her, putting one arm around her, trying to comfort her as best as they could.

After about five minutes, Ocean started talking. "Well, i had a friend named Constance when i was 16. We had been friends since the very first day of school, so since we were six years old. I started liking her when i was 13, and three years later, when we were having a sleepover, i kissed her, but my parents walked in. They're very homophobic, and they kicked Constance out of the house immediately" ricky's mouth was wide open. They looked very shocked, but Ocean kept going. "they sent me to my room, and the next morning my parents came into my room to "talk". They said that they had decided to move to Toronto, because they "wanted me to have more academic opportunitys in a bigger city". She used airquotes while saying the last part. "They wouldn't let me go out of the house, and they always had an eye on me, so when we moved three days later, i didn't even get to say goodbye to Constance"

she had been so stuck in her own world while telling the story, she didn't even see the flabbergasted look on Ricky's face. They looked like someone had just hit them in the stomach three times, said sorry, and walked right off. After the shock was over, they signed: "thats the saddest story ive heard in a really long time Ocean, i can totally understand why it made you so sad" they looked at her empathetically. Ocean started talking again.

"No, i think about what happened that night almost every day, that almost doesn't phase me anymore. I dreamt about what would've happened if i never kissed her. I just told her we should start doing our english homework. It was what she said after that that triggered me. She said "classic Ocean". Nothing else, just "classic Ocean". it reminded me how i used to be back then. I was a study machine, and a narcissist with low self asteem. I treated everyone like shit and pushed them away, even her. That's what's really bothering me. I treated her like shit, and i still had the audacity to kiss her. I still had the nerve to be in love with her. Seriously, Im pretty sure i called her an "uncarved block" at some point. I even tried to convince her it was a compliment. It was only when my parents moved me away that i finally got off my high horse and down to earth, realizing how horrible id been. During the dream i realized, that if my parents never took me away from Constance, i would've never realized how horrible i was. If i had stayed, i would probably still be the exact same horrible person i was back then. I always said to myself how id wish it'd never happened, but no matter what would've happened, i would have lost. Thats what's bothering me"

Ocean was still crying, alot actually, but she wasn't making any noise anymore; tears were just streaming down her face. Ricky looked absolutely heartbroken, but after some time they finally signed something. "I didn't know you were gay, why didn't you tell me before, when we were talking about me being non-binary?" Ocean was scared to say the actual answer, thinking it might sound dumb, so she came up with the easiest lie. "I dont know, ive never been out to anyone, so i guess i just didn't think about it" she tried to smile after saying it, and failed miserably.
Ricky looked at her in a way she couldnt quite understand. "So, one thing i don't get, did the Constance girl also like you? Did she kiss you back?" Ocean was scared she was gonna start hyperventilating again, but she tried to answer as best as she could. "I actually dont know... i didn't even get to talk to her after the kiss at all" Ricky looked at her like they had no idea what to say "that sounds absolutely horrible, and you said she was the only person you've ever been in love with?" Ocean hesitated a bit. "Yeah, i dont really know why"

Ricky looked like they were thinking, then they signed: "want me to cheer you up?" Ocean's first instinct was to ask them in a rude voice what possibly could cheer her up right now, but she decided to try not to be an asshole. "Sure, what do you have in mind?" She was sceptical, but what did she have to lose? "Theres this one ice cream shop a mile away thats open 24/7, you in the mood for some 1am ice cream?" They signed, and tried to smile, but Ocean could see that they'd been crying too. Ricky seemed like a very sympathetic kind of person. "That sounds great, thanks for this Ricky" Ricky gave her a quick thumbs up and smiled. "Yea, you're really doing me a favour too. I really needed an excuse to go get ice cream again, i literally think the 3 people working there know me and Noel by name at this point" Ocean laughed, put her jacket on and threw Ricky theirs. She looked over when she was done putting her dark green jacket on, and Ricky was wearing the coolest jacket she'd ever seen. It was an over-sized jacket with so many pins on it, you could barely see the jacket anymore. Pins with little cat drawings on them, pins with pride flags on them and pins with bands and singers on them, but then she noticed the pocket. "Boyf" had been painted with white paint right on top of the pocket of the jacket. "If your boyfriend has a jacket that says "riends" on the pocket, Im literally gonna throw up in my mouth" they both started laughing. "Really Ocean? You didn't strike me as the homophobic type" Ocean started laughing even harder. "Your boyfriend, what was his name...Noel? Was it his idea?" Ricky nodded. "Right on the money, he told me it was a reference to some musical, you probably got it though?" Ricky took their crutches and pulled themself up from Oceans bed. "Yeah, thats genius though, very cute"

They walked down the stairs, where ricky's wheelchair was. They signed to Ocean: "hey, i don't wanna be a bother, but do you mind pushing me in the wheelchair instead of me using my crutches? Im tired as fuck" Ocean went and grabbed the wheelchair. "Yeah, of course!! No problem" she pushed their wheelchair over, and Ricky sat down. "Thank you so much"

Ocean started walking, pushing Ricky in their wheelchair, and she asked: "so, what do you usually order?" Ricky thought about it for a second "usually i pick raspberry and lemon, but their caramel is so good!! I think im gonna get caramel and raspberry today" Ocean thought for a second. "I dont get ice cream alot, but i really like mint and chocolate chip" she looked at Ricky, and they had a disgusted look on their face. "Ew, no. It just tastes like toothpaste with chocolate chips in it" after saying it, they made an even more disgusted face. Ocean laughed and started talking in a fake angry voice. "How DARE you, mint chocolate chip is the ice cream flavour sent from THE GODS" Ricky made a jokingly annoyed face. "More like the devil"

the very first thing the man behind the cash register said when they walked through the door at 01.37 am, was: "Ricky, Its you again! Did you get yourself a new boyfriend to bring here?" he said jokingly and looked at Ocean. Ricky laughed a bit, before taking out their phone and typing something down. "No Larry, ive brought you guys another customer/victim, this is my new roommate Ocean" Ocean, that was a bit shocked at her name being mentioned, tried to smile politely and wave. "Hi" she said, and drew out the I a little, in an attempt to sound more polite. "Okay, what will it be? Ocean ordered for them, since she already knew what Ricky wanted. She ordered mint and chocolate chip and caramel for herself, since Ricky recommended it, which they seemed happy about. Ricky payed, which she felt a bit bad about, but they said "Its what roommates do", so she didn't bother them any more about it. On the way home, Ricky asked: "so, am i the best roommate ever now?" Ocean laughed."Almost, you're veryyy close; one more 1am ice cream, and you're there". They both talked, laughed and ate their ice cream while walking home, and both finally went to bed at 02.14 am.
_______________________________
A longer chapter this time, because Im probably not gonna be uploading tomorrow. Also, yes, the worker being named Larry is a gumball reference. if you Got that, i love you.

I promise we'll start getting more the actual plot ive planned, Im just trynna build a world here, okay? Also i learned that most mute people can make sounds when i was researching, which i didn't know before.
Pic of my plans for the fanfic, scared my moms gonna come into my room and think Im planning a murder: