Chapter 1: an arrangement

"An arranged marriage?!" I snapped. I was distraught, fuming. How could Father and Mother do this to me?

"y/n, it is imperative that you lower your voice at once! It is very unbecoming of a princess, let alone a future queen and heir to the throne, to be throwing such a tantrum," Father warned. His eyebrows furrowed, staring at me with a look of obvious disapproval. I could tell the situation had also made Mother upset, as she heaved a small sigh and rested her right hand onto Father's left shoulder, nodding in agreement to his ridiculous statement.

A tantrum? You have got to be kidding me.

"Relax, darling, it isn't an arranged marriage," Mother hushed. "It isn't?" I stared at her, bewildered.

"No."

"But Father said-"

"Yes. There will be an arrangement for a prince to meet you this afternoon. However, he will serve as your regent until your mother and I have decided that you are ready to succeed to the throne." Father abruptly interjected, slowly losing his patience.

"A regent? I am your only child! Am I not to be the successor to the throne?" I muttered, extremely hurt and taken aback by his statement.

"Hm... The prince will just be here to guide you, so perhaps he'll serve as more of an advisor? Regardless, darling, we should make haste. The prince will be arriving any moment now. Maids, please escort Princess y/n to her chambers for her to get ready." Mother ordered, signalling towards the maids stationed at the doorway.

Knowing that any further arguing would be pointless, I begrudgingly turned around and headed towards the doorway, where I was greeted by the two maids.

"This way, Your Highness," the maid on my left directed as we walked towards my room. "What colour would you like to wear this time, Your Highness?" the other maid inquired.

It was going to be a long day.