Chapter 3: there you are

It has been two days since Prince Mingyu's arrival, and the entire palace has never been cheerier. I, on the other hand, have been trying to avoid him, especially after our first embarrassing encounter. Nevertheless, there was no escape. Immediately upon arrival, he had become the maids' and servants' most beloved guest. He was the talk of the entire palace, and at this rate, probably the talk of the entire Kingdom. Prince Mingyu was friendly, charismatic and attractive — a desirable target for maidens and bachelors alike. To make matters worse, I frequently see him helping around in the pantry area. He looked like he was actually enjoying himself! Face covered with flour, kneading dough and chatting boisterously with the other cooks while preparing pastries for tomorrow's banquet. Was this what Father and Mother wanted me to learn from him? Baking? I scoffed at the thought.

Just then, I heard a knock on my door. "Your highness, it's time," a maid beckoned me from the hallway. I listened carefully, waiting for her to walk further down the hall before I let out a loud, dreadful groan. Burying my face in my pillow one last time, I finally dragged myself out of bed to get dressed.

Ever since I was a child, I never liked ballroom dancing. To be fair, I never really had the chance to develop an appreciation for it. The grumpy old mistress who taught me would always pick at me for getting the steps wrong. Once, I did try to inform Mother and Father about her mistreatment, but they would simply just dismiss my qualms, saying it was all in preparation for my role as queen.

As per usual, I stood outside the ballroom, hesitant to enter. Clutching nervously onto my pocket watch, I checked the time: the long hand just struck twelve, it was already ten in the morning. Shoving my pocket watch back into my pocket, I held my breath and entered the ballroom.

"Good morning, Your Highness." An oddly familiar voice greeted me. There, Prince Mingyu stood, waiting alone in the vast expanse of the glistening, marble ballroom. His posture was relaxed, and he appeared comfortable — dressed in a loose fit of cotton and linen — completely different from the formal clothes he had worn two days ago.

"You can't be serious..." I mumbled. Prince Mingyu definitely heard me, because my response made him burst out in laughter. Casually strolling towards me, he bowed, giving me a warm smile before extending out his left hand, inviting me to take it "Let's begin, shall we?"

Ignoring him, I immediately stormed out of the ballroom, flouncing down the hallway to seek refuge in the palace garden. There was no other way. I was not going to embarrass myself again for the SECOND time. Allow Prince Mingyu to mock my horrible dancing? Absurd. He was just going to see how much of a mess I was, which would just prove Father and Mother right — that I was incompetent and unfit to be queen.

I sat in my usual shaded spot beneath the large oak tree — my secret haven. The place always made me feel safe and secure. After all, it was a secret spot, even the maids and servants were unaware of. Whether Prince Mingyu bothered searching for me or not, it was certainly going to be awhile before I got caught. I sat down on the grass, resting my back against the trunk of the sturdy tree. "At least you have my back, Oak Tree." I joked to myself, forcing out a hollow laugh. Smiling wistfully, I dozed off, soaking in the swirling scents of lavender, daisies, grass, and dew that drifted through the still morning air.

"There you are, Princess."

"AH!" I exclaimed as Prince Mingyu emerged from behind a nearby tree. His sudden appearance startled me, causing me to instantly jolt out of my daze and sit back upright. Pretending that he did not just scare the life out of me, he hummed to himself, taking his time to admire his surroundings until eventually gazing back at me. Despite all the trouble I had caused, his expression remained unbothered, fingers interlocked and hands placed politely behind his back as he approached me from the tree.