Chapter 2: the prince has arrived

I was standing in the great hall, shifting impatiently as I awaited the prince's arrival. The tight corset hugging around my waist was stuffy, and the lilac gown layered with an overly substantial amount of frills made me feel like a walking feather duster. As if things could not get any worse, Mother had forced me to wear heels for this 'special occasion'.

"What's taking him so long?" I thought to myself.

The great hall in our palace was indeed grand. Considering an esteemed guest was on the way, it was only fitting that Father and Mother did not spare any mercy on decorations. A resplendent chandelier hung in the centre of the hall to welcome the guests, while smaller white candles dotted around the rest of the great hall, resembling stars in the night sky. The warm glow of the candles dripped and soaked into the blue stone walls, allowing the gold embossed rims of the great hall's monumental windows to glimmer in the light. Anyone would have gawked at the splendour of it all.

Yet, it had one fatal flaw — the grand hall had no clock. How long was this torturous waiting going to last? I rummaged through my pocket, searching for my pocket watch. To my dismay, I realised that I had carelessly left it in the other room whilst in my hurry to change into this gown. Looking around warily to check that there were no servants or maids within sight, I scurried out of the great hall as quickly as I could manage, given my highly inconvenient get-up.

Just as I was about to exit the door of the great hall, the back of my left heel got caught in the hem of my skirt, causing me to trip and lunge forward, face-first into the large door. Closing my eyes, I braced myself for the impact, arms flailing about, desperately trying to grab hold of any support I could find as the door flung open. My pitiful attempts failed, but to my surprise, my landing felt different from the cold, hard, marble floor I was expecting. Instead, it felt firm and strangely warm.

"Your highness, are you alright?" spoke a low, husky voice. Oh no.

Flustered, I pulled back immediately and opened my eyes. Standing before me was a gorgeous, tall man with broad shoulders and a well-built physique reminiscent of a marble sculpture. His flowy white blouse stood out underneath a wine red velvet cloak that draped elegantly over his sturdy form. Glancing up, I saw that he had short but dark wavy hair that complemented his beautifully tanned skin.

"I'm fine, thank you," I replied curtly. I refused to make eye contact, trying my best to regain my composure since my face still felt flushed from embarrassment.

"Are you sure?" he asked with a concerned look on his face. The young man bent down, tilting his head to get a better look at my face. His action caught me off guard and soon, his gaze was locked with mine. I noticed my composure faltering as his chocolate brown eyes stared intently at me, making me feel slightly self-conscious.

"A-and who might you be?" I questioned, trying to change the subject.

Hearing my question, he smiled shyly and bowed. "Apologies, your highness, I have forgotten to introduce myself. I am Prince Mingyu, second son, from Caratland Kingdom. The King and Queen have graciously appointed me as your temporary regent and henceforth, I will be staying here in this palace till my duties are complete."