Check Yourself (Before You Wreck Yourself)

"We need to check the attractions for Sou..." Joe said, voice sounding dejected.

Sara was killed because of Sou's influence, Kanna had revealed. You weren't sure if Joe's willingness to find this pathetic excuse for a man was because of his sudden drive for his blood in turn of Sara's, or because he wanted to distract himself.

"...You should eat first." You responded quietly. The two of you stood in the lobby alone. Everyone had gone their separate ways, looking for Sou, or whoever the verdict was who'd broken the mystery monitor.

Joe looked away from you. He stared at one of the hallways, looking distant. "Joe, please." You said, slightly louder. He turned to look at you, conscience returning. His expression became soft.

"...I'm fine."

"...Please."

Joe swallowed. He looked empty. He looked... sad.

"...Okay."

You smiled softly, relaxing the rest of your body. "Okay. The food is in there."

~ * ~

The two of you returned to Joe's bedroom to eat comfortably.

"You... stayed in here while I was asleep?" Joe asked, breaking off a piece of bread he'd grabbed and placing it in his mouth.

"Oh..." Shit, was that weird? "I... yeah. I was worried you'd wake up confused and disoriented... So I thought it'd be helpful for me to be here once you woke up. But... I guess I wasn't, huh? ...Sorry."

"...Thank you." He said. He tried to hide his smile, making him look almost bitter.

"...For what?"

"For being here. I don't know... What I'd do by myself."

"...It's not like I'm doing much..."

"You're doing more than you realize." He said, voice sounding clearer and warmer than before. "I don't know what I'd have done, waking up by myself in a panic like I was with no one I knew."

"You know the rest of the group, though."

"But not like I know you." He said. You were taken aback, and it was evident by the way you pulled back slightly, straightening your posture. "Like... Sorry. Obviously, I don't... know you. But... I feel like I feel more comfortable around you. You were the only one... who asked if I was okay. And... you knew Sara better than anyone else did. You'd be the only one who'd understand.

"Everyone just watched." He said. Your heart hurt. It hurt and you felt your eyes stinging with tears that threatened to fall and it's amazing the kind of strength you had to hold them back. It was not your turn to be emotional. "Nobody... Did anything." He said.

And though he didn't say specifics, you knew he was talking about Sara's death. Not her death specifically, but what came afterward. Kai's death. The crying, the screaming, the sobbing. The panic and self-doubt and eventually the rise and fall of their humanity. They watched as Joe sat on the floor in your arms and cried out in anguish and fear for a friend lost. They watched his body go limp and no one helped you with the aftermath. They watched you give his body one last squeeze — a sympathy hug, perhaps — before attempting to lift him, ultimately failing because his unconscious body was like a bag of bricks. Of all people to help — Of all fucking people — the only one who helped bring him to the next floor was Sue Miley. Everyone else watched or went on ahead first.

Did they not care?

"You're the only one who cared." He finished.

Whether they did or not, they did not do well at showing it. Joe saw through their bullshit.