Is This Trust?

You sat in the silence of Joe's bedroom. No one spoke after Gashu explained the rules for the next section of the Death Game. And now, in the silence and safety of his private bedroom, the two of you didn't speak. Joe sat on the bed and you sat on the sofa chair. With your knees pulled up to your chest, you were silent.

Silent.

Silent.

Your heart felt broken. These deaths were different than the ones before. You hadn't gotten the chance to speak to Mishima. Not even once. You didn't know Kai. You liked Sara, but you didn't have as strong of a bond with her as Joe did.

You had gotten more of a chance to see Reko.

And Alice...

His response to her death would leave a scar on your mind. Seeing such agony... was heartbreaking.

The fact that he was willing to lose his life — because he must've known what would happen if he killed Ranger — showed that he was truly torn apart by her death. ...As if his screaming and crying weren't enough evidence of that.

"Are you alright?" Joe asked quietly.

You shook your head, keeping your silence.

"That was... awful," Joe said, sighing tiredly.

"It's all awful, Joe." You said bitterly. "We're just kids. We need to be in school. Not a Death Game."

"Well, we can't—" A loud ringing sound came from the tablets Gashu had handed out. You had gotten your role cards.

Without hesitating, you grabbed your tablet and looked at the screen.

Commoner.

You took a deep breath, steadying your heavy beating heart. You looked over to Joe to see him holding the tablet, but his eyes were closed.

"Are you alright?" It was your turn to ask.

"I don't want to look. I don't want... it to be the same card that killed Sara."

You both went silent. After a moment you stood up and sat next to him on the bed, "Do you want me to check for you?"

He was hesitant, "I don't want to know... but... I need to. So... please."

You gently took the tablet from his hands and looked at the screen.

"...Commoner." You breathed out. "You're okay."

"...For now."

"I won't let you d—" Cut off again. But this time, by a knock on the door. Both your attentions were taken away from each other as you turned to the source of the noise.

"Who is it?" Joe called, his voice shaking from nerves.

"Take a wild guess." It was Keiji.

"If you're not willing to cooperate, then neither am I," Joe said, his voice more stern now. He laid back and rolled onto his side.

There was silence before you heard Keiji groan, "It's Keiji, kid. I need to talk to you. Is Y/N in there too?"

Joe looked up at you, and you contemplated on whether or not to tell Joe to be truthful or not. But you chose to let him make the decision.

"Yeah. They're in here." He decided to tell the truth.

More silence, "Then can you come out here and talk to me privately real quick? Or have me come in and kick Y/N out for a bit."

"No," Joe said. "If you wanna say something, then Y/N can hear it too." Your heart skipped.

It shouldn't have.