𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

♬ Self Care- Mac Miller

☆彡

A sigh leaves my heavy chest as I stare into my empty room, nothing but memories left in these walls.

Though I've already been staying Ms. Alamanni's house, Caden bought a penthouse we're gonna move into.

Stepping aside, I make room for the movers to haul away boxes filled with fragments of my past life. Arms crossed, I lean against the doorframe, staring into my once full room.

My gaze drifts to the window, peering into the backyard of the neighboring house, now desolate and silent.

I used to have a friend that lived there, she understood the cage in which we both lived. Her family, much like mine, dictated her path in life, and like me, she had siblings.

I stare at the floor, as relieved I am to not be close to my father anymore, its still heartbreaking to leave the room I grew up in. The abrupt ring of the doorbell shatters the silence, its ring sounding louder than usual.

I grab a rather heavy box and walk to the top of the grand stairs before my eyes widen a bit when I see Caden standing outside. I walk down the stairs as my gaze lingers on him, he's wearing casual jeans, a white t shirt with a black zip up on top of it, paired with a watch and a barely visible silver chain that looks like its worth more than my left kidney.

"What are you doing here?" The question slips out, a mix of surprise as our eyes meet.

Without uttering a word, Caden's gaze shifts from the box in my hands to meet mine. "Need help?" I shake my head, a reflex, but he, unbothered by my reluctance, takes it from me anyways. My protest dies on my lips as my father's presence fills the space.

"Caden, son! How are you?" My father's delighted voice echoes through the house. He walks up to us and brushes past me before shaking Caden's hand firmly.

There's always a shadow that lingers in Caden's demeanor. His irritation always becomes more visible, an undeniable force, whenever my father draws near.

"Well, you guys should really get going, hm?" The eagerness in my father's voice to get me out of his life is unmistakeable. Which is ironic since one of the reasons I agreed to this marriage was because I wanted to finally be accepted by him.

I still do, and I hate myself for it.

"Go, I'm coming in just a minute," I assure Caden, who acknowledges with a nod, before heading towards his car.

My mom and brothers are already standing in front of me, ready to say their goodbyes, "I'll miss you, call me anytime." Torrence mumbles as I hug him.

"Let me know if I gotta kill someone," Dante says softly as I pull him in for a hug.

My mom looks at me through soft eyes, she's just as upset about this as me. She's the only one who understands how I feel.

"I love you so much and I'm sure you will do great things in your life" Her embrace tightens around me, her words infusing warmth into the cold feeling gnawing at my insides.

I hear my father scoffing from behind her.

"Damn mom, I'm not dying." I joke and she scoffs softly, "Time and place, honey." She pulls away from me and I smile at her, "I love you too."

My mom and brothers leave, leaving only me and my father, I turn around to leave but something stops me.

I turn back to him, "Goodbye. I hope that you will always live with the guilt of the fact that you sold your only daughter to some rich dude." The door slams behind me and I take a deep breath before walking off.

I stride to the car, a weight lifting my shoulders. In that moment, I feel like I had reclaimed a piece of myself, stood up to the very reason of my years of torment. The air in the passenger seat is thick with Caden's cologne, a scent of spices and something compelling.

As we drive, the silent tension is suffocating, the only sound is the soft hum of the engine and the occasional shift of Caden's hands on the wheel.

I'd be the biggest liar on earth if I said I'm not attracted to him. But it's all physical, I'm only human, after all.

His looks, undeniably appealing, are overshadowed by his personality. The knowledge that I have to deal with his attitude for God knows how long is a thought I'm not yet sure how to bear.

If only his personality was as good as his looks.

When we arrive at the building, he steps out of his car and I follow him inside.

The building that greets us upon arrival is overwhelming, chandeliers dangle like stars from the high ceilings, artworks adorns the walls. The ding of the elevator distracts me from everything as the doors open before we step in.

Stepping into the penthouse, I'm swept away by its stunning beauty, a reluctant admiration for Caden's taste forming inside of me.

The white marble floors shimmer under the soft glow of the overhead lights, the kitchen island, a masterpiece of design, anchors the space, while the floor-to-ceiling windows offer a view of the city's heartbeat below.

Caden leads me into a bedroom, its elegance undeniable. A king-sized bed, dressed in shades of black, with closets bigger than my room at Lorenzo's house. "Make yourself at home—the rest of your stuff should all be here in about thirty minutes," he says as I take a seat on the edge of the bed.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" Caden's question breaks the silence, "I don't know— I'll probably just go shopping," I respond with a shrug, trying to sound casual, indifferent.

He doesn't even offer me a response before leaving the room, leaving me alone with nothing but boxes and thoughts.

Every second I spend in this goddamn room, it'll be accepting that this is my life now.

And I'm simply not ready for that.

🝮
-𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝.