𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.

♬ BATTLE OF THE LARYNX - Melanie Martinez

☆彡

"How do you get your hair so soft?"

I say drunkenly, Caden is sitting in front of me on the couch and I'm fascinated by how good his hair feels.

I try reaching for them again and he tilts his head back, "Go to sleep, Celestine." He mutters with heavy eyes, grabbing both of my hands and laying them on the couch.

I pause for a moment, the silence almost drowning me. "Am I really a coward?"

A beat goes by, and then another one.

And then I get ignored. Fun.

He gets up and before I can ask him where he was going, he's already out the room. I frown, "Where'd you go?" I look at the door, expecting him to come back, and he does.

He has a plastic bottle in his hands I'm squinting at it to see what it is, in his other hand he has a glass of water.

"Take this, it'll reduce your hangover tomorrow." He places one of the pills in my hand and holds the water in his. I shake my head, "I don't like pills."

"Too bad." His eyes narrow and I decide to take them. Not because he said so, though.

After taking the medicine I lean back on the couch and feel a soft blanket drape over me before Caden sits down next to me.

"Caden?"
"Hm?"
"This is all just a dream, right?"

He doesn't answer. "If this wasn't a dream, there's no way you would do all of this just to take care of me," My eyes slowly close as I watch his chest rise and fall, "—never, ever."

He stays silent, watching me with soft eyes as i try my best to stay awake. "You know, my father was super mean to me today," I yawn. "That's why I drank so much, I don't even like alcohol. I just like the numbing that comes with it."

He responds with a low hum as he stares at the floor. "What did he say to you?" He turns his head to me, his expression unknown. I dodge the question.

"Maybe I am a coward. The only reason I started disobeying him is because of you. I would've never even dared utter a word back before, when there was no one to defend me." I stare down at my hands, feeling ashamed.

"It's not me. I don't talk back. I'm not a fighter. I take the fucking hits because it's all I've ever known. If that makes me a coward, then so be it."