Chapter 3

"I swear darling, I saw something," I said

"Why do you sit here calmly? Please, let's go home," she said. I clearly felt the fear in her voice.

"I tell you earlier that I am not sure about that. Maybe it is my illusion," I said.

"But Hassan, I think we have to go home now," she said with determination.

Before I told her that I too felt that we had to go, I heard a sound, a splash in the lake.

We ran towards the lake. The only thing that came to my mind was my children.

We ran like maniacs toward the sound. But when I reached there, my world was upside down, my younger son Ali was crying on the shore of the lake. But I could not find the elder one, Umer.

Where was he disappeared?

My wife was hugging Ali, and she was trembling with fear. But was crying and shouting for Umer, who was not found anywhere. I ran along the shore and did not find any clue of him.

I came back toward my wife and son, Ali, and she asked him about his brother. He was just crying and did not answer any questions. Suddenly, he pointed his finger toward the lake. We both looked in the pointing direction. My heart stopped beating at that moment. I saw him floating on the lake just a few yards away from me. She cried and run toward him. I knew that she did not know how to swim, I stopped her and held her in my hands. I ran toward the lake and jumped in the water.

My body felt the jolt of coldness, the water was freezing. So cold that it was absolutely reached the freezing point.  The blood stopped in my veins, but I had to reach my son. I grabbed her with my hand, he was unconscious. I held her in my hand and swim back toward the shore, where her mother was crying.