Gawain

"Claire!" A girl with bouncing brown curls stole Callan's chance. Within seconds, everyone in the hall stared their way, but this time, everyone focused on Claire.

A thought sparked in Callan's mind, and she grinned to herself. Maybe she wouldn't have to use the Band-Aid method after all. She could hide in Claire's shadow instead. Girls of all ages sidelined Callan in their eagerness to attract Claire's attention.

No one noticed when Callan drifted away from the knot of groupies. Claire's megawatt smile returned, but Callan saw the truth in Claire saying she needed a real friend. Callan couldn't help a pang of sympathy for her.

The girls were too friendly.

They loved Claire just a little too much. They showered too many compliments on her. Sure, she was obviously a stunning girl, but three compliments per person about her hair seemed a tad much. And all the time: the list this; the list that. What was it about 'the list' that had everyone talking?

She'd have to ask Claire later. In the meantime, she spotted a wonderful alcove complete with a window seat. Only people directly in front of the alcove would be able to spot her in it. No one would care to look at her with Claire around to gawk at. Callan slipped away from the growing crush of bodies and sat down, watching.

Maybe the friendship could work...if she managed to not care too much and if she stayed here long enough. Not that she would. She wiped the smile from her face. She didn't want to stay just because two people decided to be nice to her. Did she? 

"Like moths to a flame," a boy commented, plopping down next to Callan.

How did these people keep noticing her? She hid her face and hunched her shoulders to look smaller, hoping the guy would go away.

"Oh, stop it. I already caught you."

Warm, coarse fingertips nudged her chin up. She jerked away and launched to her feet. Before her back straightened, his hand settled on her shoulder and pulled her back down. He kept her firmly in place. She prepared to rant at him, but one glimpse of him and her words died. It was all she could do just to keep her heart in her chest.

He had to be one of Claire's friends. Claire would have made sure of it. He was too gorgeous to go unnoticed.

Callan tried to get up again, but the guy kept her trapped in her seat. Beast.

She tried to lift his hand from her shoulder, but had to give up by the third failed attempt. His emerald eyes danced with merriment. She glowered back.

"I knew you weren't docile." His much-too-sexy mouth tilted into a roguish grin. "Which makes me very curious."

Callan took a deep breath and turned back to watch Claire. This could be trouble.

"Nothing? You're not mute, are you?" His tone infuriated her.

Who told him he could toy with her? She let her gaze travel down his body. Not bad. In fact, his uniform did nothing to hide his perfectly toned muscles. She yanked her eyes back up, meeting his own wide eyes and surprised expression.

"You are not worth my time," she said, knowing she'd burn in hell for that lie.

He burst out laughing, then huffed a breath upward to scatter the rich chocolate brown curls resting against his perfect forehead.

Oh man.

She'd turned into an idiot. Wonder above wonder she wasn't drooling yet.

"So...you are?" he asked, failing to keep his face straight.