The Tree

They reached a short incline and followed it down to the only tree in the field. It burst into light, its glowing silver trunk seeming to call to them.

"Am I seeing this right?" Callan whispered in awe. The tree radiated peace and love. It had to be the most beautiful thing she'd seen in her whole life. The black leaves whispered in a wind that reached out and touched Callan, raising goose bumps on her skin.

"Yes, you are. Remember the sisters I told you about?" Kaela reined the horse in and helped Callan to dismount before doing so herself.

Callan couldn't tear her gaze away from the tree. "Mhm."

"Well. Their souls live on inside, although only Ramaeda ever makes contact with us."

"What about the other sister?"

"Her name's Callan, just like you. She was the knight, and continues to protect us for as long as she lives."

Callan's memory shot back to the strange conversation she'd had with the voice. 'She called you Callan...'

Now she understood. The name was important. It had meaning to Nordians. Did that imply the voice was Nordian too?

The wind nudged at Callan's back, summoning her. She glanced to Kaela and found her watching. She gestured Callan on. The wind prodded again, adding a light pressure to Callan's back, guiding her to the tree.

Its gnarled and twisted trunk undulated as if it breathed. The light it emitted pulsed. Callan could sense its heartbeat against her...within her. Her eyes widened in wonderment. It spoke to her in a wordless language. Closer, it said.

The wind nudged her left hand and she lifted it, but hesitated.

Their heart rate increased. Go on...

Callan put her hand against the smooth bark. The trunk lit up, bathing her in its silver glow. Her palm tingled. The tree's warmth reached up along her arm. More love than she could imagine flooded her, followed by a giddy joy. She laughed and cried at the same time. Finally, a sense of welcome, of belonging, warmed her further.

She didn't need to hide here.

Callan closed her eyes to savor each sensation.

The tingling in her palm shifted to her wrist and disappeared. The myriad feelings she'd felt vanished with it.

She blinked her eyes open and swayed slightly to regain her balance. The trunk had turned a dull gray. The wind was gone. As were the leaves. A sense of loss filled her.

Kaela put an arm around her shoulders and squeezed. "Wonderful, isn't it?"

Callan nodded, fighting to swallow down the lump at the back of her throat.

"May I?" Kaela asked and reached for Callan's arm.

Callan nodded and Kaela rolled back the edge of Callan's sleeve, revealing a black spot over the inside of her wrist.

"Nice." Kaela smiled. "You've received a great gift."

"It gave it to me?" Callan glanced up to the tree.

"She gave it to you, yes."

Made sense. Something did feel human about it—her.

"So what now?" Callan asked, eyes still on the tree's bare limbs.

"Now," Kaela said, "we have a lot to talk about."

An approaching horse interrupted them. A magnificent black stallion and his slumped-over rider trotted nearer. Callan frowned, watching. The man looked ready to drop.