Bad News

Ward skipped history. And French. James spent most of those classes fidgeting. Even at Ward's angriest, he never left James on his own for long. Before, it had been a source of constant annoyance, but this...was...weird.

Math class started with no Ward. James tapped his pencil's eraser end on his desk, peeking to Ward's empty place every now and again.

"Be tardy again, Calhoun, and I will see you detained," Mr. "Egghead" Fenwick said.

James snapped his attention to the door to see Ward rush in and take his seat.

Ward dropped his books on the desk with a thud. His brows knitted together with worry. "Yes, sir."

Egghead turned his back on the class and started to explain some math, staying that way for some time.

"Where were you?" James mouthed.

"Later," Ward replied and stared at the back of Fenwick's bald head.

James scowled and returned his attention to class. A wad of paper hit his head. He glanced to the side and met Claire's frigid blue eyes. Almost like Nerine's. They looked creepy in Claire's face. As if she'd had a transplant.

When he lifted his palms in question, she threw a pen at him, but he managed to duck in time. Ward caught the pen before it hurtled into the window, saving them all from detention.

James sighed and focused on Egghead. As stupid as she was acting, Claire had a lot of power. She could wreck his social life with a few well-chosen words. Usually she wouldn't, but then James hadn't seen her this pissed off before. She knew about his role in the conspiracy against Callan. Ward did nothing without James's say-so. Now the attempt to get Callan expelled had failed and James needed to avoid drowning in the middle of a river of bad blood between Claire and Nerine.

"James, what is the answer?" Egghead Fenwick pinned him with his beady eyes. "And where is that sister of yours?" He pointed to the empty desk that would be Callan's whenever she chose to show up.

James grimaced at the reference to Callan, but pounced at the chance of diversion. "I don't know, sir. Maybe she got lost."

A snicker ran through the class.

Fenwick frowned. James didn't check Claire's reaction. He knew she'd be searching for something to throw at him.

"Well, if you see her, tell her she has detention," Mr. Fenwick stated in his infamous monotone.

James kept his face straight and nodded. "Yes, sir."

Nothing struck the side of his head. Claire was biding her time.

James rubbed at a line forming between his brows. Next time, Egghead wouldn't be so easy to divert.

The hour dragged on, filled with problems and homework. When Fenwick finally released them, James gathered his books and rushed out to the next class. It wouldn't be easy to avoid Claire until she'd calmed, but he had no choice.

Ward would catch up. As always.

James went into class and sat down.

Ward came into view just as the bell rang. Students filed in and headed to the seats, but Ward stayed by the door, signaling urgently. James frowned and went to him.

"You all right?" He took in Ward's pale face and horrified expression.

Ward shook his head. "No. We're in trouble."

"About Callan? No we're not. Relax." He headed back into class, but Ward's reply froze him in his tracks.

"She's gone."

Gone? He smiled and turned back. "She left?"

Ward shook his head again. "Claire sent her to the castle to wait for things to settle. But she's still gone. The castle's closed."

"You went looking for her?"

"Yes. I couldn't find a trail, so she must have taken the road."

"Wait. You said the castle's closed? What do you mean it's closed?" James bit his tongue when he glimpsed the top of his teacher's head a short distance away.

Miss "Darling" Wilson stopped and stared into their faces in turn. She barely stood higher than their elbows.

"Misters Braden and Calhoun, I trust this conversation isn't more important than my class."

"No, ma'am," Ward said and slipped into the room. Darling grabbed James's arm before he could do the same.

"Mr. Braden, I'm not seeing your sister."

James winced, then covered it up with a smile. "She had a hard day, ma'am. I'm sure you'll receive a note about it later."

She inspected his face from behind her owlish specs, then gave two quick nods. "Very good. In you go."

James obeyed and dropped into his seat. Miss Wilson clicked over to the blackboard and beat a duster against it to attract her students' attention.

They fell silent in seconds.

Ward fidgeted where he sat and James frowned. What now? He really wanted to hear the answer to his question.

As the class progressed, James couldn't stand it anymore and opened his workbook at the last page. Things would have been so much easier if Principal Leighton allowed cell phones at school...

What do you mean the castle's closed? he wrote and slipped it to Ward, who scribbled a reply.

James took the book back.

Just what I said. Phipps wouldn't let me in.

The hair on James's arms raised. Castle Pendran never closed. Not even for maintenance. Still, he made a joke of it. Brr...Maybe the ghosts got her.

Ward's worried expression didn't change. He wrote back. I'm serious. Phipps was on the wall. We talked. He wants to see us tonight.

James's bluster deserted him. No, he wrote. You're welcome to go see him. I'm not going.

Oh yes you are, Ward wrote back. She's out there because of us. Phipps said he knew what happened to her. Happened to her, James. Not where she went.

James's heart clenched. Callan was supposed to go back wherever she'd come from. Not get hurt. He forced his concerns down and kept his hand steady to write.

Fine. Then we have to go. We'll talk about it after class.

Ah, there's the glimpse of the James he keeps so well-hidden from the world. I have to admit, I didn't like him when I started writing the series, but he's grown on me as the story progressed, because I understand him better. 

Let me know your thoughts! And please don't forget to vote. :-)