Escaping a Nightmare

Water dripped against icy stone. The sound echoed around Callan, making it impossible to tell its point of origin. Faint moonlight made a pin prick in the distance, but it was too far to make a difference.

Where was she now? Footsteps shuffled behind her somewhere and she turned into the darkness to follow them. She stretched out her hands. One touched a rough wall and she used it to guide her forward. After some time, the footsteps stopped near her.

Only then did she sense a familiar presence.

The voice was here. She smiled, ready to speak, but a dark coldness slammed into her. The entity invaded her, sapping her strength. Suffocating her. She gasped for air as the evil seeked out her soul, reaching for it...

A knock boomed against Callan's door and she shot up in bed. "Who is it?"

She swallowed and took some deep breaths to calm her racing pulse. A quick check revealed the entity still in its cage. It pushed at the confines, though. She pushed back and it stopped.

Still, the fact that it featured in her dreams was unsettling to say the least.

"Kaela."

Not Gawain, then. Callan sighed. "Come in," she grumbled and threw herself back onto her pillows. Her eyes felt as if grains of sand had been tossed into them. If only she could have the dreamless sleep Gawain had given her the night of her kidnapping.

Kaela entered wearing Nordaine's black dress uniform. "Vonir eron rochnian." You look dead.

Callan lifted her eyebrows at the sound of her father's language. News traveled fast...

"I feel dead, thank you," she replied, noting the long daggers hanging from Kaela's hips.

Always prepared, the Nordians... She closed her eyes, trying to convince her thoughts to stop floating out of control.

"What happened?" Kaela asked.

"Long story."

"Hm. Are you too tired to go riding with me?"

"I don't think I'm allowed to leave."

"You are today. I have permission to take you out." Kaela plopped down on the bed as if she owned it. "But if you're too exhausted, I can leave you to nap and take you out later."

Callan stifled a yawn and opened her eyes. Moping in bed wouldn't do any good, but taking a ride might be exactly what she needed to calm down.

"Thanks, that's very sweet of you, I'd love to go."

Kaela's silver eyes lit up. Her smile almost hid the ragged scar down the side of her face. "Great! I know exactly where I want to take you."

"Sounds good. Maybe the fresh air will wake me up." Callan forced her tired body out of bed. "Shouldn't I wear something else?" she asked, indicating her borrowed uniform. It was in a state, since Callan had slept in everything except for the jacket and boots.

"Ach. Not now. I'm sure clothes will be provided if you have to stay here much longer. But until the king has made a decision about you, it's better that you stay in the uniform." Kaela tilted her head, regarding Callan from head to toe. "Besides. You look good in it, even though it's a bit wrinkled."

Callan flashed her a half smile and buttoned up the knee-length jacket. "So... Have you seen Gawain?" she asked, careful to keep her tone light.

"He and Darrion are out hunting with the nobles. Here," Kaela said, holding up a black ribbon. "Darrion said something about not letting you wear hairpins?"

Callan grabbed the ribbon and wrenched her hair into a tight ponytail. "How wonderful. They get to enjoy themselves while I'm sitting on needles."

Kaela swatted Callan's hands aside and undid her hairdo. She rolled Callan's hair up into a bun at the nape of her neck.

"If it's any consolation, he's probably dying on the inside. The nobles can be...wearisome."

After securing Callan's hair, Kaela worked some tendrils loose around her face.

Callan sighed at her reflection and tucked the loose bits of hair behind her ears, smiling at Kaela's perturbed frown. "When will they be back?"

"Probably tomorrow. Ready to go?" Kaela asked.

Callan nodded.

"Come on then." Kaela led her out to the courtyard.

Only one horse stood waiting.

She shot Callan an apologetic smile. "Sorry, but Darrion won't let you take your own."

Of course not.

Callan faked a smile. "It's all right. At least I get some fresh air."

"Right!" Kaela mounted with a dancer's grace and helped Callan up behind her.

No blindfolds and ropes, though. The horse walked so slowly she didn't need to hold on to anything.

When they were about halfway across the courtyard, the gatekeepers opened the massive double gates.

Any guesses as to what the city of Sylmion is like? Come back tomorrow to catch a glimpse of it. 

Please don't forget to vote if you liked the section!