Claire Steps Up

In the morning, Callan and Claire strolled into the dining hall with their course of action decided between them. They'd go to the principal's office after breakfast to get permission to see the archives. They'd start nosing around after Callan's horsemanship test.

She tingled with anticipation to get back onto a horse.

Their footsteps echoed in the cavernous hall, thundering louder than expected because no one else had arrived. The room had to be a grand old ballroom.

Callan followed Claire to the serving tables. She helped herself to toast, eggs, and bacon from the huge spread and joined Claire at a table more or less in the hall's center.

Not ideal, but with Claire around it didn't matter as much. At least Callan could relax a little.

Claire took a bite of her toast and watched her.

"What?" Callan asked.

"Aren't you hungry?"

Hmm... Callan picked up her knife and fork and dug into her scrambled eggs. They tasted like soap.

Really? All this money and they still served cafeteria food.

Claire burst out laughing. "Terrible, isn't it?"

Callan nodded and pushed the eggs away from the other food on her plate.

"Mr. Leighton hired the head cook years ago. Before I came here. No one knows why. The woman can't cook to save her life and she consistently ruins the food. We're lucky if the sous-chef manages to hide something from her." Claire took a bite and smiled. "She's an absolutely darling woman, though. I'll introduce you at lunch. But if you want to start your day nicely, stick with bread and cereals."

Callan smiled and picked up her cool toast. At least she could stomach it.

After they finished eating, they made themselves tea and waited for the rest of the students. They came in dribs and drabs and various states of dress, but the place filled up by seven fifteen.

A few glances settled on Callan, but she ignored them. Her schoolmates had to be curious about the new girl being chummy with Claire.

Five minutes passed with only an increase in scrutiny. Callan's stomach flopped about. Maybe the scene from yesterday made her stand out more than she'd thought.

Claire just chatted on, oblivious. By seven thirty, Callan couldn't stand it any longer. She needed out from all the stares before a real panic attack started.

"Can we go sign up for riding, please?"

"Of course." Claire got to her feet. About halfway out the hall, her brows furrowed. "What is going on?"

Callan shrugged, but quickened her pace. Her unease didn't disappear in the relatively empty hallway. People kept ogling them.

She took the pen hanging next to the horse riding form and wrote her name and room number. The muscles in her shoulders bunched up, but she kept her hands from shaking. Claire seemed puzzled, but didn't notice Callan's distress. Callan planned to keep it that way.

Someone leaned in close and smelled her hair.

She turned slowly and looked up at a dark-haired guy she'd seen with James and Ward.

"So...you must be the new girl." He stepped a bit deeper into her personal space, giving her a good view of his dark eyes. Vicious.

Like Nerine's.

Callan cast a glance at a crimson-faced Claire.

"Michael Kellar, I was not aware of her status giving you the right to act like a savage," Claire said with the dignity of a queen and the fury of a tigress waiting to attack.