Chapter 30

I looked back at the castle up in the hills with a smile on my face. I couldn't even tell if that was truly the castle or some stranded house on the hill cause if how far from it we were. When I had walked down this part last year, I thought the first few days were going to be my last. I've been walking on thin ice ever since but I'm glad to know that I survived, I'm a survivor.

"Do you know how long it's going to take us?" Kate asked from beside me

I only shook my head no, it took us almost a day to get here from the academy last time and I spent most of it sleeping. I don't know if we had any stopovers and the last thing I want is to spread wrong information.

I moved to the darker sides of the van and laid down. I stretched my legs and wiggled my toes trying to get comfortable. The last time I was in a van I was with 49 other girls but today, we were just 4. Kate, Grace, Althea and I. According to the beast, I was the chosen one and they were just extras. We are all just a pawn in his game, that's what we've always been to him. A simple pawn in a game of chess and that was okay, sometimes even the pawn is what's needed to win.

I may be leaving here now under his orders but the next time I come back here, it's war, I know the layouts of the castle and Alex even gave me a spare map, "for when you make the right decision" he had said and I know he knows I'll kill the beast and that's his own way of showing his approval.

I went over the plan in my head multiple times, it's simple, Ms Lacy has been informed of our arrival so we have no problem, once we get to the academy, we blend in. In two days, when it's time to pick a letter, all we had to do is rub the enchanted oil that we've been given on our face and voila, we'd see the letters as clear as day and pick one, then it's just me deciding for myself from there onwards. As much as I'm scared, I'm still happy that I have the girls here with me and that's more support than I ever need.

I may be nervous about the mission but I'm also excited too, I get to see the rest of the girls and most importantly, I get to see Maddie again, that's if the beast hasn't killed her off, the thought scared me. When we departed at the academy, I had it in my mind that we wouldn't see each other again since we were all going to die but ever since I realized the beast was sending me to Montain, the thought of not seeing Maddie scared me.

I've never been much of an emotional person, I only open up to people I trust and Maddie is one of the few people I've ever opened up to, the thought of her dead scares me more than I'd care to admit.

The vehicle jerked to a shaky stop and I could hear doors opening and closing, I quickly sat up looking around. Just like the van we were transported in from the academy, this one has a small window to the side and even though it reflected little light in, it was still dark in here I couldn't even tell what time of the day it is, considering it's not bright out either and we've been in here for hours.

The familiar sound of chains rattling has me furrowing my brows, were we there yet? I got the answer to my question as the door opened.

Blocking my eyes at the abrupt bright light, I blinked rapidly trying to clear my vision.

"Get down" I heard General Sage's harsh voice, rubbing my eyes, I came down and looked around, we were still in the forest, that much was clear but why we were here is what I'm confused as to.

"You have 5 minutes to go and ease yourself, be fast we don't have much time" General Sage's voice rang in the forest, the other girls mumbled their thanks and I just walked into the forest without a glance or word in anyone's direction.

I walked further into the bush until I was sure I theres no one here, I wasn't even feeling the urge to pee or anything, I just wanted to get away from everyone, have a moment of sanity to myself and I just leaned against a tree and closed my eyes.

"You do know there could be a snake in that tree" I shrieked at the sound of the voice, I know that voice, I quickly opened my eyes turning to look at the speaker.

It was the dwarf, the one from the village, I absent mindedly rubbed my wrist where he roughly held my wrist the last time.

"Greetings your majesty" he said with a smirk and I just eyed him warily

"What do you want? Why are you following me?" I asked cautiously glancing around ready to make a run for it if need arose.

"You don't need to look like you're being stalked, we both know I'm not going to hurt you" he says with an amused chuckle

"What do you want?" I repeated firmly, I should turn around, I should just leave but a smart part of me was curious as to what he has to say

"You do know that the weight of the world is on your shoulders right" he asked and I just nodded, I knew that already and there was no reason for him to remind me again.

"You'll get to a point where you'll be at the biggest crossroad, when the time comes, you'll be at war, your heart and your mind will be at war" he says suddenly looking straight into my eyes, I just gulped at his words.

"Remember, no matter the decision you make, no matter what decision we make in life, we can never turn back time,  it's better to take risk than to live with the regret of wondering what could have happened if we did" he says still looking into my eyes. His words held so much wisdom and I'm sure, these words are ones that'll forever be engraved in my mind

"May the odds be in your favor, good day your majesty" he said with a bow and just turned back into the thicker parts of the forest whistling.

"Elisa!" I could hear general Sage's voice in the distance, heck, I totally forgot about them and I quickly scurrried in the direction I had come from.

"What took you so long?" General Sage asked with a glare.

I only shrugged in reply, not gracing her with an answer, in one swift move, I climbed into the van, moving to one corner, I heard the familiar sounds of chains rattling, doors opening and closing before the engine roared to life as we continued our journey, the words of the dwarf still ringing in my mind

A/N
It's not edited😥😥
Sorry for the late update, just being going through alot
Thanks for reading
Have a great day!!!