Daddy Issues

Trigger Warning:  Attempted Rape. Read at your own discretion.

When Jenna and I entered the Gilbert kitchen the next morning, a surprise was waiting for us.

"Oh God, I'm late," Jenna exclaimed after a short glance at the clock on the wall.

"That's what you get for hitting the snooze three times!" I snickered.

We walked into the kitchen but stopped in our tracks as we saw John Gilbert standing next to Elena at the counter, sipping on his coffee.

Jenna stared at him as if he'd just grown a second head.

"What the hell?"

He looked over to us and smiled innocently.

"Good morning to you, Jenna. Marianne..."

Jenna glared at him, hands on her hips.

"It's okay I'm confused, right? Because I clearly remember telling you to get lost last night."

"Well, Elena let me in," he stated, shrugging his shoulders.

Elena gave her aunt an apologetic look as she glared at her, before shifting her eyes back to John.

"I'm still confused here."

"I decided to come back and stay for a while."

Jenna shook her head.

"Not here, you're not. This is not a hotel."

John placed his coffee mug back on the counter before staring her down.

"Actually, you can't stop me from living here."

"Actually she can, as Elena's and Jeremy's legal guardian," I chimed in to Jenna's defense.

"Yeah, about that...um," he turned to Elena, a smug look on his face. "Elena, you want me to explain the situation, or would you like to do the honors?"

Jenna's eyes moved from John to Elena and back, confusion written on her face.

"Okay, what's going on?"

Elena's face paled.

"I'm sorry, Jenna. I should have told you earlier, but—"

"I'm Elena's biological father," John interrupted her. "There, now you know."

With that he left the room. Jenna stared at Elena in shock.

"What?!"

"Jenna..." Elena walked toward her, hands reaching for her, but Jenna took a step back, hurt and betrayal written on her face.

"Since when do you know?"

"Jenna, I can explain-"

"Since when?!"

Elena's face fell.

"Since the beginning of the year. During John's last visit."

"That was over two months ago! Would you have ever told me if John hadn't done it?"

Elena stared at her feet, not answering her question. Well, no answer was also an answer. Jenna held her hands up.

"You know what? Do as you please. I have to go and meet my thesis adviser and then I have some other appointments later on. It's probably going to be late tonight so don't wait for me."

She grabbed her bag and pulled me into a quick hug.

"Feel free to grab some coffee before you go to work. Lunch at the Grill as usual?"