Homecoming

Stefan was standing in his living room, phone in his hand. He took a deep breath before dialing a number and pressing the phone to his ear. Klaus picked up after a few seconds.

"Portland is fantastic," the hybrid raved at the other end of the line. "Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people, it is literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

"Your father is dead," Stefan said, getting straight to the point.

There was silence for a few seconds before Klaus' voice came back, laced with a mixture of shock and surprise.

"What did you say to me?"

Stefan grimaced.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened," Klaus replied.

Salvatore Boarding House, one hour ago

Elena and the Salvatore brothers were standing in the living room, cooking up a plan to get Klaus back to Mystic Falls.

"Aye, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here," Stefan contemplated loudly. "He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait."

Elena looked at him skeptically.

"And you what? Vervained him?"

"No, we vervained him!" Damon corrected her. "This guy is an Original. To make it realistic."

"Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger," Stefan continued.

"Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead..." Elena added.

"We drove it through his heart," Stefan ended her sentence, a satisfied smile on his lips.

Elena, however, wasn't quite convinced of their plan yet.

"And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?"

"Good point!" Damon agreed before giving his brother a sharp look. "You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied."

Stefan held up his hands defensively.

"Well, don't look at me. I am just in charge of getting him back here."

"Klaus is smart," Elena said. "If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof."

"Then I shall be dead," Mikael stated, making all three turn around in surprise.

Elena looked at the Original as he walked into the living room.

"What if he wants to see you in person?"

"Well that means our plan is working," he replied, a sinister smile playing on his lips. "Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him."

"With what?" Stefan asked skeptically. "Those daggers won't work on him."

"Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree," Mikael explained, pointing at the jar of white oak ash standing on the coffee table. "The one that left these ashes when it burned."