Know Thy Enemy

After I had held my speech, I wanted nothing more than to leave the house. I couldn't stand being near any of them right now. But as I went to open the front door, I was held back by an invisible force.

"What the hell?!"

I tried it again, but it was as if I was running against an invisible wall.

"What's going on?" Jenna asked.

"I don't know. I can't open the front door. I can't move past this spot."

"What?"

Jenna tried to open the door but she too was held back.

"What in the..."

Bonnie walked out of the living room.

"I'm sorry but it's safer for everyone if you two stay here for the time being."

"Meaning until we found a way to break Elijah's compulsion," Damon said, joining them.

I glared at him.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Oh come on, sunshine. Elijah clearly compelled you to believe you are in love with him."

I gave him an indignant look.

"What?!"

"The Marianne Porter I know would never talk to Elena like that. That earlier in the bathroom was the compulsion speaking, not you."

I laughed dryly.

"Don't be ridiculous, Damon. A, Elijah would never compel me and b, I can't be compelled. Did you already forget that?"

"Maybe not by a normal vampire, but he's an Original."

"I. Am. Not. Compelled." I pressed out through gritted teeth. "And nor is Jenna. She's on vervain. You are free to check for yourself."

"Well now she is, but she clearly wasn't when he compelled her."

I let out a frustrated groan. Was he serious right now?

"Okay, I have enough of this," Jenna said, throwing her hands up. "Marianne and I are under no compulsion so stop this nonsense and let us out!"

"People who are compelled don't know that they are. This is how compulsion works," Elena explained, having entered the foyer just now together with Stefan. "I'm sorry, Jenna, but this is for your own safety. And Marianne's. I promise we let you leave as soon as we found a solution to the problem."

"The only problem we have right now is Elijah being daggered and if you let me out I will take care of it myself," I spat.

"See? That's what I'm talking about," Damon said. "You are usually kind and sweet to Elena, not like this."

"Oh, sorry. Am I supposed to be kind and sweet to the person who murdered my soul mate and keeps me from reviving him?"

Elena looked at me like a beat puppy. Stefan glared at me.

"Hey, don't talk to her like that!"

"No, Stefan, it's okay," Elena assured him, touching his arm. "That's not Marianne speaking. She can't do anything for the way she is right now."

"Oh, trust me, Elena, that's very much me speaking right now. You just never met me while I'm angry."

"Enough," Bonnie said, morning forward. "You two stay here, that's not up for discussion. I'm the only one who can remove this barrier and I won't be doing it until your mind is clear and your own again."