Our Town

When Damon got out of the shower the next morning, towel wrapped around his waist, whistling happily, Stefan was impatiently waiting for him in his bedroom.

"Good morning," Damon greeted his brother enthusiastically. The kiss he and Elena had shared last night after Jenna had driven out of Mystic Falls was still fresh in his mind. Unfortunately, he seemed to be the only one in a good mood this Monday morning.

"You're late," Stefan pointed out, scowling. "We were supposed to meet Bonnie at the witch house in ten minutes."

"Relax, brother," Damon retorted as he opened his closet. "You don't want your hair to fall out."

While Damon was looking through his closet, taking his sweet time on deciding what clothes to wear today, Stefan was whipping back and forth behind him, impatient to finally get going.

"Would you hurry up? We have work to do. You know, Klaus isn't gonna spontaneously self-destruct." He stopped and frowned, watching his older brother suspiciously. "Why are you all chipper?"

"No reason," Damon replied, pulling out some clothes before closing his closet door again. "Be with you in a minute."

Contrary to Damon's relaxed state, Elena seemed to be in need to let out some of her pent-up frustration. She was aggressively attacking Alaric's punching bag when the latter walked into his living room.

"Hey, you're gonna put a hole in that thing!" he exclaimed, looking at her questioningly. "You want to talk about it?"

"Nothing to talk about," Elena pressed out through clenched teeth as she continued kicking and boxing.

The vampire hunter grabbed the punching bag and held it for her, patiently waiting until she had calmed down a bit.

"So, what's got you all worked up?" he finally asked as her punches became less aggressive.

"I didn't really sleep last night," she admitted.

Alaric sighed.

"Yeah, me neither. Probably something to do with dying..."

Elena shot him a concerned glance.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine," he assured her. "I'm fine. I think the ring, however, is running low on batteries."

"Yeah, that's another reason why Jeremy has to get out of town," Elena stated. "If those rings have a shelf life, he is not protected, neither are you."

She swung her fists at the punching bag with all the strength she could muster, causing Alaric to stumble slightly backwards. He smiled at her proudly.

"Nice, nice, you're getting stronger."

"I'm just channeling frustration," she grimaced. "I need coffee."

She walked over to the kitchen counter and removed her gloves before proceeding to brew coffee. Alaric followed her.

"Seems Damon's compulsion worked," he said. "Jeremy was packing when I left the house, going on about his new school in Denver. Jenna seemed to be gone as well."

Elena nodded.

"Yeah. She left last night." She turned around and gave him a curious look. "Have you talked to Damon today?"

"No. Why?"

She shrugged dismissively.

"No reason."