The Sun Also Rises

"So that's what a werewolf bite looks like."

Damon and Katherine stood next to each other in Alaric's apartment, both observing the werewolf bite on Damon's wrist.

"Yep."

"It's not that bad," Katherine stated.

"Will be," Damon said, a dark look on his face.

He rolled down his sleeve. Katherine looked at him.

"So that's it? You're just...going to die?"

He looked at her.

"Well, that depends. You know anything about a cure?" She shook her head and Damon shrugged. "Me, either."

"145 years and no last good-bye?" Katherine asked as he went to exit the apartment.

"You don't get a good-bye," he stated coldly.

Katherine vamp sped in front of him, placing her hand on his chest.

"No. Don't leave mad."

"Us ending up on good terms isn't exactly on my bucket list, Katherine."

He attempted to leave again but Katherine didn't budge.

"Klaus made me call Jenna to lure her out. There was nothing that I could do. I didn't have a choice."

"That's why I gave you the vervain. So you had a choice."

Katherine shook her head.

"It was her or me. I chose her."

"I helped you," Damon hissed. "You owed me. Now when Klaus dies, you're going to walk out of here without a scratch and Elena's aunt dies. Somehow you're the only one that wins. How'd that happen?"

She shrugged.

"I didn't let love get in the way."

Damon scoffed.

"Enjoy an eternity alone, Katherine."

He walked towards the front door.

"What are you going to do?" Katherine asked.

He turned around to look at her.

"I'm going to offer myself as a replacement to Klaus."

Katherine shook her head.

"He won't take you. He saw your bite, he said that your blood is impure. I'm sorry, Damon. But Jenna's dead, there's nothing you can do about it."

Bonnie and Jeremy were sitting in the basement of the old witch house, flipping through Grimoire after Grimoire.

"This is useless," Jeremy said, voice laced with frustration. "All these Grimoires. There has to be something in here to keep Elena from becoming a vampire."

"And we'll keep looking," Bonnie assured him. "Until the last minute."

Outside of the witch house, Alaric and Stefan were discussing their plan.

"Elijah told us that the sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets," Stefan said. "First the werewolf is killed, then the vampire. Finally the doppelgänger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become hybrid."

"So when do we attack?" Alaric asked.

"Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side. He'll be vulnerable during the transformation. That's when Bonnie comes in."