Chapter 4 - Fall 7

"Happy birthday, Sadie!"

The sound of clinking glasses echoed throughout the bar, the townsfolk raising a toast to my 25th. The last time I had this kind of attention on me, it was my first time leaving the farm, and I was scared shitless. Now, with Alex's arm draped loosely around my shoulders and Sam dramatically sliding a poorly wrapped present towards me, that memory couldn't feel further away.

Haley was perched in the booth next to me, Alex's towering figure standing behind us and shielding us from the rest of the room. "Sorry for the presentation, Sade," she sighed, glaring at Sam. "I asked him to wait until I got home, but he insisted on wrapping it himself."

"Listen," Sam said defensively, causing Haley to giggle. "It was Haley's grand plan to renovate the house last year, and then Alex's to restore the community center...I came up with this one all on my own, and wanted full credit for it, okay?" He gave the box one last shove. "So go on."

While I'd always been the one to carefully pull off the tape and savor the bow for later, this present was asking to be torn to shreds. Plastered around the box was the daily newspaper, many of the half-ripped-headlines detailing the Valley's reinstated title of Produce Capital of the Nation...no relation to the farm, I'm sure.

Beneath the paper was a cardboard box, and inside of that box was a smaller—and hopefully the final—box. "Is this how you entertain yourself?" I groaned as each container revealed itself.

"I thought it was funny," Sam rolled his eyes. "Get a sense of humor."

I slapped his arm as I pulled the final lid off, watching as his eyes lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning.

Inside was a stunning necklace—gold chained with a small charm dangling in the center. "Sam, this is gorgeous," I said breathlessly, taking it out. His fingers brushed against mine as he took it from me, sweeping my hair to the side and fastening it onto the backside of my neck.

"It's tigerseye," he said quietly. "Growing up around Emily, she would always go on and on about her little crystals—tigerseye was always my favorite. It symbolizes perseverance, courage, strength...the works. I'd always carry it with me for good luck, and even though I know you'll thrive without a mystical rock, consider it a backup plan."

I turned around and wrapped him in a hug, Haley and Alex grinning like proud parents. "Thank you, Sam—I couldn't have asked for anything better."

"Well, maybe the real deal would have been a little better," he shrugged. "They're hard to come by, and cost about a trillion dollars. I've never even seen the actual thing in person—even Emily never had one—so hopefully this fake thing holds the same powers by association."

"100%, are you kidding?" Haley shrieked, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It's perfect, and Sadie loves it, so don't beat yourself up."

"She's right!" I exclaimed, leaning my head on his shoulder. "I still stand by what I said. Do you really think I'm fancy enough to wear a million dollar mineral around my neck?"

The group laughed as Emily delivered a round of shots, the typical, pointless chatter picking back up immediately after the bite of the tequila wore off.

"Hey, Sadie," a voice said from behind me. "Happy birthday!"

Harvey and I locked eyes. "Thank you," I smiled.

"I know you've probably got a lot of people buying you drinks, but think you could go for one more?" he asked quietly, a smirk gracing his lips. Haley and Alex gave each other an oh, shit look in my peripheral, then nudged me forward.

"I don't think she can refuse that kind of offer," Alex whistled.

"Mind if I surprise you?" Harvey said, his voice buttery as we approached the bar.