Chapter 15 - Fall 21

Sam's door swung open as he sat back down, kicking his feet back onto his desk. "Hey, Sade, what's up?"

I swallowed the anxiety down as I scoured my brain for something to say—for anything to say. Where do I start? Is this even a good idea?

"I slept with Harvey," I blurted out, quicker than my mind could register. "I've been sleeping with Harvey."

"What?" he said blandly, his blue eyes thoughtless.

I gulped. "I've been—"

"I heard you."

Oh, fuck. Yeah, this is going to end horribly. I should start packing my stuff now; I'll probably be exiled. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Sorry?" Sam said, a sarcastic smile spreading across his lips. "You're sorry? What could you possibly be sorry for?" He scratched his head as his gaze landed on me. "Sneaking around? Worrying me—all of us—half to death? Fucking my therapist?"

"Sam—"

"This is why Shane's trying to put me on with a new counselor, huh?" he said, staring at the ground. "Oh my god, this is why you were so frazzled when you saw us talking the other morning. You were scared he was going to spill your dirty little secret!"

I stayed silent; I had no reason to speak. He was right, and we both knew it.

"He knew all along," Sam said defeatedly. "He knew, and he backed you, even after everything he and I have been through. We grew up next door to each other, worked at Joja together, but then you show up and that all goes to shit. You have that kind of power over people, and you use it...Fuck, I guess I'm no different."

"Sam, no," I said, moving closer to him. He moved backwards. "I fucked up, and that doesn't make you any less important to me."

"Why were you so adamant that I start seeing Harvey if you were planning on doing this?" He blurted out. "It's like you wanted this to blow up in my face."

"Sam," I said sternly. "This was not in spite of you at all."

"What about the other night?" He said suddenly. "Where were you?"

"When?" I asked shakily.

"Oh, I'm sure you've heard all about it," he shrugged with narrowed eyes. "I'm sure you've heard about everything I've ever trusted Harvey with."

"No, Sam," I said, my voice low. "Believe me when I tell you that I know nothing except the things you have asked him to communicate with me."

"You were gone late at night, and you'd just almost killed yourself in the mines, like, the day before?" He said, ignoring me. "I showed up at Harvey's place, asking him to call Marlon, and he wouldn't. It was almost like..."

His eyes widened as they looked at me, as though the puzzle had finally pieced itself together. "...like he knew exactly where you were," he whispered.

"Sam—"

"You were there, weren't you?"

The truth was thick in my throat. "Yes, I was there, but please, Sam—"

"You sat there while I worried myself sick, and you did nothing?"

"I didn't know what to do," I said, burying my head in my hands. "I didn't want you to find out that way."

"And this way is much better?" He asked, standing up and grabbing his jacket. "You're a fucking coward, Sadie."

I latched onto his forearm as he stormed past, my grip begging him to stay.

"I don't want to fight with you, Sam," I cried, tugging him back towards me.

"Well I want to fight about it, Sade!" He yelled, looking at me over his turned shoulder. "You don't get to decide how people feel about the shit you do...forget it. I need time to process this."

His scent lingered after he left the room, his open door revealing Alex and Haley standing in the hallway. I couldn't look at them.

"That was...intense," Haley whispered, joining me on Sam's bed. I stayed silent.

"Listen," Alex huffed. "He's mad now, and rightfully so. He asked for time to process, so give it to him. Go find him when you feel like you can make things right without playing the victim."

I nodded as they leaned into me, and I knew that they were right.

Later. I will fix this later.