Chapter 18 - Fall 22

"What on earth are we going to say when we walk in?" Sam questioned, a goofy grin painted on his face.

"Good morning would be a good place to start."

We slept in his twin sized bed, sweat plastering us to one another and then freezing on our skin as we wandered aimlessly back towards the farm, the late fall air enveloping us in its grasp.

"Well, well, well," Alex clicked his tongue as the front door opened, his arms folded excitedly across his chest. "Welcome home, you two. Safe to assume the enemies to lovers bit has come to a head?"

"Alex!" Haley shrieked, shuffling quickly into the living room and slapping his arm. "Can you let them live?"

An electric silence filled the space as they stared giddily at us.

"Okay, I can't take it!" Haley squealed. "What happened?! Tell us!"

Sam's gaze landed on me and my cheeks became rosy in response. "We, uh..."

"Banged?" Alex asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Ban—what? No!" I said defensively. "Jesus. You people have no faith in me."

"I'm not sure what that means, Sadie Simmons," Sam said, clearing his throat. "But no, we didn't bang..."

"...Yet." he whispered.

"Oh my god," I groaned, burying my head in my hands. "I'm done with all three of you. We said some sappy shit and kissed a little. That's it."

Alex whistled as Haley bounded into my chest, slinging her arms around Sam and myself and jumping up and down. "I'm so happy for you two, seriously! This has been a long time coming."

"Yeah, thank god," Alex said gingerly. "I swear, you two could've danced around the truth forever."

"Man, I was closer to moving back home than I was to saying how I felt," Sam said as Alex wrapped him into the infamous jock hug.

"You're full of shit. You wouldn't last one day after living here."

"Yeah, maybe you're right," they giggled as they slapped each other's backs, Haley and I watching the exchange in misery.

"Sam, you have to get ready," Haley said, glancing at the time smeared across the screen of the microwave. "It's almost time to get going!"

"Get going?" I repeated, scavenging my brain for what she could be talking about. "Where?"

"Oh," Sam shrugged. "It's no big deal, we just have a concert in the city today."

"In the city? Who's playing?"

"Um," he laughed to himself. "I am, or, we are. Seb, Abigail, and me. It's nothing, seriously."

"Why didn't you guys tell me?" I yelled behind me as I sprinted into my room, throwing off yesterday's clothes and yanking a brush through my hair. "This is the literal opposite of not a big deal."

"Eh," he called behind me, a small smirk creeping onto his features as he approached my door. "It was pretty last minute, and you were too busy dying and then betraying me for me to tell you."

My jaw was on the floor as I turned around, his smirk now a full-fledged grin. His eyes trailed down my figure and snapped back to meet my gaze as I snapped my fingers. "Sorry," he said insincerely. "I zoned out."

"You are unbelievable," I groaned, kicking my door to a crack and leaving him in the hallway.

"What if I told you I have to use the bathroom?" He asked grumpily.