Chapter 9 - Fall 17

Faint drips echoed throughout the cavern, melting ice trickling into tiny streams that evaporated as they graced the cobblestone. The temperature climbed the further I retreated, the once blue tinted rocks shifting into an ominous crimson. Creatures squealed from shadowed corners and lurched towards me when they felt I wasn't looking, gripping my ankles and shoulders. My bag grew heavier with each geode, my back now protected with layers of mystic rock; the rest of my body steadily grew weaker from the weight.

"Fuck," I spat as I launched another bat off of me, its teeth leaving a deep gash behind. "Can I live?" I groaned, trudging towards the familiar shine of another magma geode, its slick, red exterior reflecting the light of the surrounding torches. Beads of sweat pooled on my forehead and drenched my hair as I worked at the rock encasing the geode, my vision becoming blurry with each pass of the pickaxe. I couldn't handle this much longer. I wonder if anyone would find me down—

My eyes fluttered open, the blinding, fluorescent lights above me urging them to shut once more. A pounding headache consumed my brain; my memories drowned in it.

"What happened?" I croaked, trying, and failing, to sit upright.

"Well, well, well," a cocky voice sneered from beside me. "The princess is awake."

I didn't need to see him to know that Shane was staring at me with a stupid, condescending look painted on his face.

"Fuck off," I said weakly, which was met with a chuckle.

"As you wish, your majesty," he said, the call nurse button sounding.

"Is everything okay?" Maru asked gently as she walked in.

"Maru?" I questioned, looking again at the lights. "What's happened?"

"Oh, Sadie!" Maru said giddily. "I'm so glad to see you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"Confused," I grunted.

"You passed out in the mines, dumbass," Shane groaned from beside me. "Jesus, Maru, you might wanna check her for a concussion."

"Not to worry, Shane, we will ensure she is all good to go before she's released. Your concern for her well-being is sweet, though!"

I almost giggled as Maru left to get Harvey, Shane's ego actively deflating as his sarcasm was twisted into kindness. As much as I hated the doctor's office, Maru always made it ten times more welcoming; I made a mental note to thank her later.

"How are you doing?" I asked, taking my time to prop myself up on my elbows.

"How do you think I'm doing?" Shane snarled.

I looked over at him as the fog in my head began to clear. His torso was slightly elevated in the hospital bed, his hair thoroughly greasy and tousled; while it didn't look much different than its usual state, it had a touch of lifeless hospital air to it—a look that nobody could pull off.

"You don't have to be such a dick all the time," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"Damn," Shane huffed. "Whatever you say, farm girl."

The silence quickly became stagnant, awkward tension floating between us.

"You know what," Shane said defeatedly. "You're right. As much as I used to hate you, you've grown on me. A little bit. I appreciate your kindness, Sadie."

I felt stunned by his words; they were so out of character that they were almost laughable. "Who am I even talking to right now?" I said, narrowing my eyes.

"Don't take it too personally, sunshine," he said, his cold demeanor returning. "I just can't have karma on my ass again...we see how that turned out." he sounded defeated as he motioned to his body.