s i x

"SO, WHAT, Ricky called you to tell you that Cam had something important to tell you?" Kourtney spoke, frowning at the screen

"SO, WHAT, Ricky called you to tell you that Cam had something important to tell you?" Kourtney spoke, frowning at the screen. Nini stared at the phone.

She didn't want to admit it, but there was a small glimmer of hope in her chest. She wanted to know what Cam wanted to say, and she hoped it was what she thought it was. Things were over between her and EJ— she'd already decided that.

"I guess so," said Nini, shrugging casually. "I don't really know. It was probably about the phone."

"No," said Kourtney with a shake of the head and a small smile on her face, "it's not. He found out the day before he told you, Dom told me that."

Nini sighed. "I don't know what he wanted to say, Kourt."

Kourtney figured she knew, but she wanted Nini to find out for herself. She also knew, via Dominic, that Ricky was hiding out at Cam's house, or at least had been since about 9:00 PM that evening.

"Alright, I gotta go." Kourtney said with a small smile. "I'll talk to you later. I love you!"

"Love you, too." Kourtney disappeared, and Nini sighed out, falling back on her bed. After a few more seconds of staring up at her ceiling, she shut her phone off, hoping to escape the rest of the world. Mostly EJ.

Cam stopped his car in front of Nini's house, clearing his throat and rubbing his hands together anxiously. Nini hadn't been answering his texts, and he couldn't sleep, even though Ricky was fast asleep in his bedroom.

His thoughts had been going too fast for him to comprehend, and he couldn't sleep, even though it was ten o'clock at night. He didn't know why he was at Nini's house, but he desperately wanted to talk to her.

He debated climbing up to her window, like an idiot, but the front door swung open just as he quietly got out of his car. One of Nini's moms, Carol, was standing at the front door.

"Mrs. Salazar-Roberts." he said, wishing his voice didn't sound as worried as it did. "I'm really sorry."

"It's been a minute since you've been here, Cam." she spoke softly, smiling up at him. "Why don't you come in, sweetheart? Everything okay?"

"Uh... yeah." Cam nodded, biting his lip and rubbing his hands together against his better judgment. "I'm... I'm sorry again, I just really needed to talk to Nini." he stood in their living room, looking around. It was just how he remembered it.

"I heard her talking to-" Carol cut herself off as Nini came down the stairs, her wide eyes set on Cam, who stared up at her. Even though she was dressed in her pajamas, he still thought she looked beautiful, and he wanted to kick himself for it. "Oh, Nini! Cam's here!"

"Hi," she breathed out nervously.

"Hi," he replied, just as breathlessly.

"I'll just be getting ready for bed." Carol put a gentle hand on Cam's arm before disappearing into her bedroom, leaving the two teens to stare at one another. Awkwardly, Cam pulled his sweatshirt off, realizing it was suddenly hot in the house.