e i g h t

NINI WAS going crazy; she couldn't move past what had happened the night prior, and as she stared at Cam from across the table in the back, she felt faint

The words of the board were drowned out for both teens; they'd take turns staring at one another for a few seconds before looking away, not wanting to be caught by one another.

Cam only began paying attention when he heard Ricky's dad's voice. His brows raised as Mr. Bowen stood up, raising a hand.

"Excuse me." he cleared his throat, attracting the attention of the board. "Can I say something?"

"I am sorry." the superintendent brushed off his question. "We're not opening up the floor to parents on this."

"Let him speak." said Nini's mom, frowning. Cam could see Nini beaming out of the corner of her eye.

"Go ahead, Mister Bowen." grumbled the superintendent. "I'm a little late to this party, but I gotta say the real crime here would be booting a teacher who is making a positive impact. I've never seen my kid this invested in anything, and I do not think that is something we should punish, Your... Honor."

"Mister Bowen, I appreciate your statement but I think we can all agree that theater is not unique in this regard. It does not have some special fairy dust that cannot be filled by another extracurricular-"

The superintendent was interrupted by a humming noise, which steadily grew louder. He looked around bitterly, tapping on his microphone to see if it was him. "What is that? Who is humming?"

Kourtney, who was standing about the group, raised a boombox over her head, and Cam grinned a little. He had heard Kourtney sing very few times, but she was amazing.

Do not say another word

Some of us need to be heard

You want her big confession?

She never saw Dear Evan Hansen

The choreography had taken all night, and Cam had never fault more exhausted. However, he couldn't care any less; most of the members of the board looked more than impressed with the show the teens were putting on. Their plan was working.

Whatever you think about her
The show cannot go on without her
Maybe her class could be a little more classy
Maybe her head is not in the game
Maybe her past is just a little bit sketchy
We need her all the same
She is the one who cheers us on
So what if she is dropping the ball?
She stands for truth justice, and songs in our key
She stands for us and we believe
Before she got here we were so off track
Then Miss Jenn gave us a chance
We used to fall asleep in chemistry class
Now it makes us want to dance
She is the show that must go on
So we are putting in a good word, because we heard
She stands for truth justice, and songs in our key
She stands for us and we believe
What is my motivation?