t e n

CAM KNEW the perfect time to confess his feelings to Nini (even though she pretty much already knew them) was opening night

CAM KNEW the perfect time to confess his feelings to Nini (even though she pretty much already knew them) was opening night. He felt more than confident. In fact, he knew it would have a good outcome as long as she wanted something from it.

"You think she'd even like it?" Cam asked, tossing the paper ball up at the ceiling. He was lying on his bed, Ashlyn sitting at his desk. "I mean... it's stupid."

"A love letter from eighth grade?" Ashlyn's eyes flickered between her brother and the letter in her hands. He winced, flinching backwards.

"Right," he grumbled, sitting up and grabbing the letter out of Ashlyn's hands. "It's stupid."

"No!" she exclaimed, smiling. "It's not. She's gonna love it."

Cam raised a suspicious brow. "You sure?"

"Positive."

+

Cam couldn't help himself— he arrived back at East High a couple hours before the show was set to start, and he was surprised to see Miss Jenn already lingering inside the gym. She jumped when the door shut, and he flinched back.

"Sorry!" he said, holding his hands up. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"Cameron!" she exclaimed, looking somewhat brightened. "You're really early!"

"I know." he said, shrugging a little, "I just... I didn't know what do with myself all afternoon."

"Let me guess; opening night jitters?" she suggested, tilting her head at him.

"Something like that." he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm just a little off, and it's my first ever musical, so-"

"I understand the stress you're under. All I can tell you is what my director told me the night somebody sneezed a blueberry muffin onto the stage during a regional production of South Pacific. Use it."

"Okay..." he drew out, his eyes shifting around.

"Besides, if you're the only actor with opening night jitters we are in excellent shape." just as the words left her mouth, the door behind them opened again, and Nini entered the gym.

"I d-didn't know anyone would be in here." Nini said nervously, gripping her backpack a little tighter.

"Welcome." Can motioned around awkwardly, his heart racing in his chest. "You, uh... you nervous?"

Nini bit her lip. "Little bit. I just realized this morning this is the first time I've been cast as the lead on purpose."

"But it won't be the last." Miss Jenn assured her, winking. She turned to Cam. "Tell her the muffin story."

He tilted his head, squinting. "Do I have to?"

"Listen, I'm going to run." Miss Jenn held up her hands. "I'll see you in a couple hours for pre-game. Just take a second, both of you and... soak in the stillness."