FIVE*

TW: mentions of depression and drug abuse 

Amelia POV:

Me and Lizzie met when we were ten. Since then, we've been inseparable. She's like my sister. And it broke me to see her after Jake cheated. He used her like she was a doll, and then just broke the news to her like it was no big deal. And it broke her.  

Before that, we were both best friends with Sadie. We were like our own trio. The Holy Trinity, we called it. At that time, we were all inseparable. Although, Lizzie and Sadie had always been a little bit closer. At least they were before their falling out.

What kind of best friend would I be if i wasn't there for her, right? That's why I made the plan between Sadie and Lizzie. Not only would it make Jake jealous as hell, but maybe Lizzie and Sadie would finally realize their feelings. Those two are the classic "friends to lovers" trope if I've ever seen it.

Lizzie's always been there for me, especially since my parents are always fighting. It wasn't super bad, or anything i couldn't handle, anyway. Well, until today.

I told Lizzie and Sadie I would meet them later at the party because i had to help my mom with something. The truth was that i didn't wanna third wheel them, im sure they still had some things to resolve.

I walked in my house to hear my parents arguing, as usual. However this time was different.

"You wanna tell our daughter that you want a divorce?!" I heard my dad yell.

Divorce?

I mean, things got bad sometimes, but I didn't think it was that bad. I pressed my ear to the door to listen more. Holy shit. They were gonna get a divorce. I heard them talking about a lawyer, and scheduling court and everything. 

I still couldn't believe what i was hearing. Was I gonna have to move? Who's moving out? Who am I staying with? Were they gonna make me choose?

I couldn't deal with it any longer. If i stood there any longer, i might have lost it then and there. I choke back my tears as I went upstairs towards my room. However, I went to the bathroom next to it in the hallway. 

I open the medicine cabinet and take out my pills, they're anti-depressants. I already had my dose today, but I didn't care anymore. I dumped a handful and took them one at a time, swallowing them dry. 

And then I took my mom's. 

...

I had gotten to the party before Sadie and Lizzie, and I didn't feel like talking to any of my other friends. I darted past everyone to the bar, pouring myself a cup of Vodka. I hate Vodka. But i chugged it. And another. And another. 

I knew what i was doing was bad, i've seen the health films. But I didn't care. I needed this pain to go away. I couldn't let my brain think about my parents.

As i'm chugging yet another Vodka, Lizzie walks over to me and snatches my cup. "A-Are you crying?" she asked me.

"No," i lied before wiping my eyes. "Okay, yeah. But im fine, Liz. Seriously, dont worr-"

"Stop." she interrupted me. "You're not fine, dont lie to me."

I lost it. I broke down again, sobbing as Lizzie grabbed my arm. "C'mon," she said, and dragged me into another room. 

As soon as she shut the door, i fell into her shoulder, sobbing. "Hey, hey, hey" she whispered, trying to calm me down. I didnt want to burden Lizzie with my problems, but she was the only person who knew about my parents. She was the only one who was there for me. 

"What happened?" she asked me. We sat down on the bed and i wiped my tears, catching my breath. 

"My parent's are getting a divorce." i whispered. It felt weird coming out of my own mouth. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry" Lizzie repeated, pulling me back into a hug. "How do you know?" she asked.

"I heard them talking about it. Today." I tell her. She sighs, rubbing my back.

"You're gonna be okay, Amelia. I promise, i'm gonna be there for you. I always am." she reassured.

I was so grateful to have Lizzie in my life. I honestly don't know where i'd be without her. She gets me, better than i get myself sometimes. I trust her with my life. I love her.

"I'm sorry" i finally said after a while.

"You don't have to be sorry." she told me. 

"Thank you, Liz. Seriously. Thank you."

"Of course."

I let myself calm down before standing up, but i almost fall back over. "Woah, you good?" Lizzie catches me. "Yeah." I said. I didn't know why i felt dizzy, maybe i was just drunk. 

But as we started walking out, that feeling came back, harder. My body burned and my breath sped up.

"Lizzie." i whispered.

She turned around, confused to see my state. "What?" she walked to me.

And then it hit me. The pills. Oh my god.

My legs jerked beneath me and i lost balance, falling back and hitting my head on the ground. My stomach felt like it was on fire. My eyes were glued to the ceiling as i saw Lizzie leaning over me. 

"Amelia!" she yelled.

I couldn't breathe. Suddenly my whole body was jerking uncontrollably. 

"Amelia!!" she yelled louder, holding my body. 

"Help! Someone call 911!" 

It wasn't a minute later before i saw a redhead--probably Sadie-- i couldnt think right now. My muscles kept stiffening and my shaking became worse. I felt my eyes drooping closed before i heard the sound of sirens and Lizzie's sobs.

And then it was black.