FOURTEEN

"It's been over a month. You don't think you should at least talk to her?" Amelia told Lizzie.

Indeed, it had been one whole month since the whole Sadie thing. Yet, Lizzie still had no intention of talking to Sadie.

"Nope." Lizzie said blandly as she stabbed a piece of lettuce with her fork. In her mind, Sadie had basically betrayed her. I mean, sleeping with Lizzie's boyfriend, and then lying about it? She hadn't even considered talking to the redhead.

And it made her hate Jake even more. If she had any sliver of remorse for him, it vanished the second he played that sex tape in front of the whole school. 

"Listen, I'm just saying, maybe there's more to the story than you think." Amelia shrugged. 

Amelia was obviously Team Lizzie, but she still cared about Sadie, and she knew the two belonged together. Although Lizzie knew more than Amelia, she never bothered to even talk about it.

Why should she? She was humiliated. Heartbroken. Every other negative adjective that came to mind. Lizzie had finally thought her days of suffering were over. She dated Jake for three years, yet never loved him the way she loved Sadie. Maybe that's why this hurt more. But why wasn't she hurting more?

When Lizzie and Jake broke up, Lizzie was broken. She'd hide in her room and cry and cry until her head hurt. And then she'd cry again. Every photo, video, memory of Jake made her want to vomit. Sometimes she even did. It took so much of a toll on her, her mother--who's a doctor---grew concerned. 

But this time was different. Lizzie cried, a lot, but she didn't feel broken. Even though Jake cheated on her, the only feeling she felt was sorrow. Why would he cheat on me? she would ask herself. 

Now, her sadness was replaced by anger. Lizzie didn't cry as much because she was too mad to cry. Instead of asking, Why did Sadie do this, she asked, How could Sadie do this? The mere thought of it didn't make her want to cry. It made her want to scream. 

Okay, it probably made her want to cry too. But broken was never an emotion she felt this time. She definitely wasn't over it. But she wasn't going to let it take over her life like last time. 

 "Imagine how Sadie's feeling." Amelia said quietly. 

But she didn't know how Sadie was feeling. How she is feeling. 

Guilty was an understatement. She tried reaching out to Lizzie, but she knew there was no point. Seeing Lizzie look so...okay with the whole thing didn't put her at ease, either. It was a break up, nonetheless. Sadie had lost her girlfriend. Who she loved. 

People would still whisper when they saw her. Roll their eyes, or give her glares. And she'd be lying if she said it didn't matter to her. But Lizzie mattered more. It wasn't that she was nervous to talk to Lizzie. She just knew it would never happen. Lizzie would run away, or flat out ignore her. 

"I don't want to think about how she's feeling, Amelia. I don't want to think about her at all." Lizzie said bitterly. 

Amelia sighed, deciding to drop the subject. "Okay, Sorry." 

...

Lizzie walked into her English class, trying her best to ignore eye contact with anyone who was at the dance. So basically, everyone.