Chapter 3 | The one with the hate

The next morning was not a good one for Preston. He woke up to Tyrell's text.

Tyrell: Skipping today

Preston: Ugh...you are leaving
me high and dry?🥺

And when he replied, his message went unseen. His best friend had been secretive since he went MIA for a year. Preston had full faith in Tyrell. If the man wanted to share, he would.

As Ty was his ride and he would not be going, Preston asked his mother's chauffeur to drive him to school.

At school, it was yet another boring day. There was leftover hype from the previous day but it did not do anything to lift his mood. The cherry on the top was Will Stone. For Preston, the man was a constant pain, not passing a single opportunity to meddle in his business.

As he walked out the school gate, Will hurried to him with a smirk plastered on his ugly face.

"Preston, I was waiting for you." Preston cannot stop himself from rolling his eyes.

"To what do I owe the suffering?"

"Suffering? I am barely one-tenth of what you are, Mr. Beckett. Moving on, I believe you would need a few phone numbers and a list of don'ts for your first location. The man is in his mid-fifties and is a little aggressive like any other good old American neighbor. The soft copy is already in your email and here is the printed one. Good luck."

Preston snatched the paper and did a quick scan. Suddenly, it clicked him. His principal did not simply want him to get into trouble, he wanted to expel him. The last line inked on the paper – that had the school's seal at the top left corner – was proof.

If Mr. Richard Homes faces any of the issues related to his health in the presence of Mr. Preston Beckett, the latter will be expelled from the school for the negligence of his health.

Any health issues? The man seemed like a connoisseur of diseases. You name it and he had it. Diabetes, low immunity, dementia, and thousands of allergies. At least his job with Mr. Cabot was better. He had always enjoyed cooking.

Ignoring life, Preston jumped in his car – even when he was desperate to jump in front of someone else' speeding one – and headed to Mr. Richard's. The place was on his way to home.

Once there, he knocked on the door. A cute young girl greeted him on the other side. Turned out that he had no job at their house for the day. Richard was given meds that would keep him knocked for hours and the girl was his nurse.

"Can I have your number, please? I'll text you and you can save mine. Inform me beforehand for days like these."

The nurse blushed before typing her number into Preston's phone. With a charming smile, he left toward Cabot's. Turning on the GPS, he entered the address in the system. Seeing the distance, he cursed up a storm. It was seven miles further from his home. He sped up, hoping to be able to finish early and get home to his music.