Chapter 4 | The one with overbearing best friend

Alastair hated high schoolers. They were the most carefree people, laughing in the hallways with their friends, at the back of their classes, breaking rules, getting to wake up late and yet they claim to be miserable all the time. He knew he did sound bitter and he was. Those people were fools. If they realized at all that high school would be the best part of their life as they move out of it and on. He could place a bet on it that his new cook was the same and win.

He sighed. Thinking about going back home and dealing with Preston was giving him a headache. Quickly, he shook his head and stepped out of the car his company sent to pick him up. An unexpected greeting was heard as he opened the door to his office.

“Hey, wassup?”

"Jay, what are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you, of course."

Testing his patience was his best friend's idea of fun. It was sick. Jay was sick.

"Why?"

"You know why. Four days, Al. You have not contacted me in four days."

Not this again.

Alastair pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. His friend was overbearing.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were my new mom after my original one ran away."

Jay was in his face within a second, wagging a finger in warning. "Are you insane? Your mom never ran away, although she wishes she could because you behave like such a child all the time. You were never this childish even as a child. Don't you think that says something?"

"Alright. Fine. I'll call Mom. And Jay please, it has only been four days. You can't be on my ass for this."

"I can and I will. I worry, Al. I care about you. You cannot pull stunts like this."

"Leave me alone," Al's voice was pleading.

Jay looked at his friend, hands itching to comfort him. Despite the strong urge, he controlled himself. He knew Alastair well and the person in question would again take his action as sympathy like all the previous times.

Alastair can sense Jay trying hard to stop himself from hugging him, he knew Jay well and appreciated that the man didn't give in.

"You know I can't. Not after what happened. You are my friend. Even if you don't admit it, you need me."

"Damn right, I need you! Not to poke your nose in my business though."

"La la la la la..."

"Really?" Al questioned drily, slapping his friend's hands away from his ears without having to look. He knew his friend and his antics. "Who is the child now?"

"Whatever. Just call your mom and stop being stupid."

His blonde friend left Al's office after saying goodbye. A sigh escaped his lips as he went to his chair to take his seat and pressed number two on the intercom.

"Hello. Mr. Cabot's office. How can I help you?" A petite voice answered from the other side.

"Maisie, Alastair here. Can you please come to my office to help me finish up our latest project?"

"I will be right there, sir. Do you want me to bring you a coffee on my way upstairs?" That was the reason he chose Maisie as his secretary. She was polite, thoughtful and of course because she was a woman. Women are more efficient and hard-working, that is a fact. Maisie was all those plus she never got involved in any of the office politics.

"No, thank you. See you."

While Alastair worked in his small cabin, Preston fumed and paced outside his door, waiting for him to arrive.

It was over thirty minutes from the given time. Preston was pissed that Alastair was late. Extremely so. With the man's attitude earlier, one would think Alastair was a punctual man but no, he was simply an arrogant man in his eyes.

Preston raked a hand through his jet-black hair, messing them up and using his other hand to pull out his phone. He dialed Alastair's number which he had taken from the piece of paper handed to him earlier by the principal. It rang and rang until it went to voicemail. He tried two more times and ended up with the same result.

Fuck it, he thought and stormed off the porch. However, he slowed down upon seeing a car turn into the driveway.

He waited for the occupants to get down before walking right up to the cause of his anger.

"Where the fuck were you?!"

It would be a lie if we say his voice was not downright menacing.

Hey guys,

Another update is here. I know the story is a slow build but again the chapters are short but I am hoping you are enjoying the read so far. Please let me know what you think in the comment box.

Don't forget to vote. I need your support to move forward :)

Thanks!

Love,
April Skyes 🌻

Love,April Skyes 🌻