Chapter 7 | The one with the madman

Richard was a madman, and Preston made sure to voice out his thoughts in front of Katie. The nurse was too sweet to be working for a gone case like that old man. Yet here she was trying to persuade him to come back inside with her.

"Preston, Mr. Homes is suffering. Please understand."

"So, in turn, he will be making me suffer with him?"

"It is my fault anyway. I should have warned you before letting you in."

Aggravation seeped inside his skin and now he felt in his bones the irrational craving to pull his precious hair out. Boys loved their hair more than girls. Preston barely controlled himself, girls might not love their own hair but they fawned over his.

Aggravation was then replaced by anger. He wanted to shake Katie by her shoulders and yell at her that nothing could have prepared him for the gun Richard pointed at him. Again, he controlled himself. The nurse was beautiful and he desired to get laid.

Forcing himself to relax, he probed the brunette - "What did suddenly happen to him?"

"It is trauma. It is a long story and not my place to tell."

Preston did not press the matter. They spent the remaining time talking about anything and everything. Katie went to check on Richard a few times but otherwise, she sat with him talking. Both lost track of time and he would have been late to Alastair's if his chauffeur did not remind him.

At Cabot's, Sam answered the door, announcing his departure once Preston went into the kitchen. Once alone, the incident from earlier consumed his thoughts.

Alastair was taken aback when Preston spoke unceremoniously.

"Not today, Mr. Cabot. I would be thankful if you do not make my life any more miserable."

The older man was stupefied into silence. He did nothing to provoke Preston. He did not utter a word yet, so what brought on this behavior? Whatever it was, it was uncalled for. Composing himself, he was ready to give back equally. "And I would consider if you could treat me as you must. As your employer."

"Employer? Do you pay me? Did you credit my salary already, sir?"

"If you want to be sarcastic, then I suggest being sarcastic with your principal."

"SEE IF I CARE! What is the worst that could happen? He will call my parents and they will be disappointed in me. Not like everyone already isn't. Name of my parents will be added to that list. I know this is exactly what will happen." The last two sentences were said in such a sad tone, it filled Alastair with pity for the boy. Almost. As he went for damage control, he heard Preston mumble. "Fuck you, Richard Homes."

"Oh, so this was it."

"What was what?"

"You were miserable because you could not get laid. This Richard guy turned you down"

Preston recoiled, visibly shuddering in disgust. Alastair could tell the black-eyed boy hated the idea.

"Richard is an old man!"

"So you are into old men"

"Not a word." Alastair chuckled. The action made Preston huff childishly. "Yeah, go ahead. Laugh at my misery."

Alastair did not remember when he had a banter with anyone. Surely, it was a long time ago. At that moment, Preston and he could even be mistaken as friends. The boy was not a bad company. Quite the contrary. He was entertaining. Despite resisting, he could not squash the flame of curiosity burning inside him. In the end, he relented. "So what happened."

All the built-up irritation dissolved into a tired sigh just like that. Although the question was asked not out of concern, it did not carry a hidden agenda. Preston dropped into the nearest chair and began his sob story.

"...had a gun pointed at me. Katie looked on the verge of fainting. Yeah. So...this happened. To conclude, Richard greeted me like a long-lost friend. Gave me a hug. I thought why not be all buddy-buddy with this man if that is what he wants, it will make my work easier. I went 'sup, Richard?' and the next moment his eyes gained this crazed look. He ran inside his bedroom like hellhounds were chasing him."

"You must be scared."

"Petrified."

"Do you know why he did it?"

"Due to some trauma."

Preston watched Alastair's eyelids flutter, the only indication that he felt some type of way regarding this situation. He stared intently at the green-eyed man, trying to gauze his emotions through his neutral face. It is said that eyes are the windows to one's soul and they speak, but his green orbs held a calm Preston had never seen anywhere before. He wondered whether Alastair can see without his glasses at all. His eyes looked so unfocused even with the thick glasses. When the other man started to seem uneasy, Preston realized he had been staring for too long and averted his eyes. Loudly, he cleared his throat. "I am the teenager and you are the one talking about drugs and getting some, I think you miss your school days. Why don't you come with me to a party my friend is throwing?" Fingers crossed, he waited. Making friends with Alastair would mean a better time when in his house and maybe he would skip some days too. It would be a win-win situation.

"No." The wall was back up again. Alastair should not have opened up to the boy.

Preston saw brick upon brick get stacked together, Alastair's resolve cementing the newly built wall between them together. In a last attempt to not dampen their good mood, he changed the subject. "How do you know, Katie?"

"Katie?"

"The nurse who takes care of Mr. Homes., that is Katie. She said she met you two years ago. She was quite taken by you."

"Do you know you talk a lot? You have wasted a lot of my time, get back to work."

Preston was delusional to believe that the wall Alastair had built around himself was at its highest. "Do you know how rude you are? Fuck you, Mr. Cabot."

Alastair pretended not to listen as he turned on his heels, a smile on his face as he moved to the living room.